Chapter 13- Peyton POV- Always

"Seriously P, why didn't you take it? We could be in the same grade!" Greyson sputtered at me.

"I just couldn't okay!" I spat back. I then uncontrollably started to cry. Greyson took my arm and pulled me into the janitors closet.

"What is it?" Greyson asked me. He brushed the tears from my eyes.

"I'm not what you think I am," I whispered.

"Whatever this is, we can get through it, together, okay?" he whispered. I loved it when he went soft. I looked at his biceps, which were tan and muscular. He grabbed my wrist and gently put my hand in his.

"Grey, I didn't move here from Kentucky. I came here from Iceland. I was part of a genetic science experiment conducted by my parents which boosted my intelligence levels by 250%," I let out. I knew I shouldn't of, but I cared so much about Greyson that I needed to tell him.

"Are you like, a robot?" he whispered.

"No, just genetically altered," I said. He looked down, his blue eyes invisible. "Grey, you cannot tell people. Anyone. If word gets out, I could be taken hostage by the government and my parents would be arrested."

"I won't, I just can't believe it," he sputtered.

"Look, I couldn't be happier with my life. I understand it isn't perfect, but I need you to keep this secret for me, okay?" I asked.

"I promise I will," he said. "Just how is this even possible?"

"Well, my parents are scientists, certified genius'. They had worked on human genetic alterations their entire lives. They discovered CRISPR when I was born, which is a gene-editing technique. When I was born, they decided they wanted to try it out. And it worked," I explained

"I see," he replied, though I could tell he was still interpreting the information.

"Does this change anything between us?" I asked.

"No, you're still the same Peyton I met at the beginning of this year. I will always be here for you," he said and kissed my cheek.

"I'm happy it doesn't. All I have is superior intelligence. I'm still just a regular teenager," I said.

"No you aren't," he whispered.

"Yes Grey, I am," I whispered nervously. He looked deeply into my eyes and answered my words with a long kiss. As his soft lips touched mine, I put my arms around his neck. I felt his warm hands gently come around my back. As I retrieved, he smiled at me. Our first kiss. And it felt amazing.

"Your special," he whispered. I smiled bashfully. "Your secret's safe with me." I couldn't help but bear hug him. He was so much taller than I was, that my head was literally right above his pecs. His reaction was exactly as I'd hoped it would be. He grabbed my hand and we walked out of the closet together. Oddly, Matt Damon, Greyson's co-captain on the football team, was standing right there. I hoped he hadn't heard anything. He gave Greyson a nod.

"I'm excited to see you at the game tonight," he said.

"I know, my first game as a cheerleader," I exclaimed. We walked into Calculous together and we were obviously we were late.

"Where have the two of you been? Class started 5 minutes ago?" Mr. Mason growled.

"Sorry," I said faintly.

"Look, the two of us had to talk sign up for scholarships and we knew we wouldn't get the chance after school," Greyson lied.

"This is your last warning," Mr. Mason warned. We nodded and scooted into our seats. I loved Calc. It was all so simple and beautiful to me. Everything has an answer and it was the same everywhere. Grey was doing better in Calc too. We were lucky to sit a table next to each other. Throughout the class, I didn't pay much attention as Mr. Mason rambled on about points of inflection. I couldn't stop thinking out the football game. I was nervous because I was flying, but I knew I could do it. I was a "tiny little thing" as all my teammates said, so I was often at the top. After class, I had to go to French, Grey gave me a smile, and we went our separate ways.