Chapter 30- Greyson POV- The Hearing

"Greyson Kole, you stand convicted of running from law enforcement, is this true?" the judge asked me. It was the day of my hearing, and I was extremely nervous. Last night, I slept in a cell and it was miserable.

"Yes Your Honor," I replied.

"Seeing your record, it is squeaky clean, no prior convictions. It seems your grades in school are pretty good and you are an impressive football player," the judge announced.

"Correct," I answered.

"I will give you the chance to explain yourself and the situation," the judge explained.

"Thank you. As soon as the SWAT came into the dance, screaming for my girlfriend, I seemed to lose control. I care so much about her, and I needed to help her. I am very protective of her and I felt the need to be there for her. I could never imagine her doing something intentionally wrong, so I felt the need to help her. I would do just about anything to protect Peyton because I love her," I explained.

"Thank you, Greyson. Does anyone else have anything to add before I say my decision?" the judge asked.

"I do, Your Honor," a voice said. I turned around and saw my dad, making his way up to the microphone. He was still in his uniform.

"Let us hear what you have to say, Officer," the judge said.

"Hello, my name is Officer Mark Kole, and I am Greyson's father. I have been working with the Chicago Police Department for fifteen years. Greyson has made a terrible mistake, but I truly believe the love he had for this girl blinded him of his knowledge of right from wrong. Greyson has always been a good kid, rarely got in trouble at school, always cared about others, and channels everything he has out on the football field. He is hardworking and never makes the same mistake twice. Which is why I am asking the court for leniency. Please take into consideration that Greyson also has a police officer living with him, and I intend to keep a close eye on him from now on. Thank you," my dad said. After everything that had happened, I was surprised, yet relieved, that my dad was asking the court for leniency. I gave my dad half a smile and he nodded at me. 

"Thank you Officer Kole, and I do plan to take your words into consideration when I make my final decision," the judge expressed. My dad nodded and went to sit down.

"Please rise, Mr. Kole," the judge announced. I stood up, fearful of what he would say next. "You are lucky this time Greyson. I leave you free of charges, but you are on probation. So, if there are any remote issues in the future, you will be paying for them. Hard. I trust that your dad will look after you, and please stay out of trouble. Court is adjourned." I took a deep breath. Everything was going to be okay. The police officer removed my handcuffs. My dad walked up to me and hugged me, not saying anything. But then I remembered. It was not going to be okay. Peyton was still out there.