Chapter 6- Peyton POV- The Quiz

The next morning, Erin and I met in front of the school so we could look at the try-out list together.

"I am scared," I told her. My hands were getting clammy and I was breathing really heavy.

"Hey, it will be okay, no worries," Erin pepped. She was such a sweetheart and I was so happy that I had met her. We continued to walk to look at the results. Once we arrived I looked at the list. It read,

Cheer Tryout Results

Jackie Anderson

Peyton Emerson

Kassidy Johnson.

Hello girls. Thank you for taking the time to try out. I know I said I was going to accept seven girls but I didn't see enough talent to accept seven. These three honorably deserved their place on this team. As for Jackie, Peyton, and Kassidy, congratulations. We have practice three times a week and do not hold anything back, This invitation to be on our team can be expunged at any moment, and that rule applies to all team members. Practices are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, from 4-8:15 pm. Be there ON TIME and ready to work. These practices will are required and begin next week.-Coach Q

I gasped. I had done it! I made it!

"Oh my gosh! Congrats Peyton! I knew you would make it!" Erin exclaimed, submerging me in a quick hug!

"I can't believe it! This is going to be amazing!" I pepped. We walked off from the list and began to make our way to English. As we walked into the classroom, Jess, Danielle, and Carly were all in a group, talking. Then noticed us and motioned us over.

"Hey, girl! We heard the news! Congratulations!" Carly exclaimed.

"Thank you! I'm so excited to be on a team with all of you!" I replied back. Then Mrs. Karson began her lesson, and we all settled in.

After English, I walked to Calc, feeling ready for the quiz. I had a feeling Greyson was not though because I could tell he was lying when he said he felt prepared last night.

When I walked in, I sat at my desk and playfully looked through my notes, even though I knew I was going to be fine on the quiz. Greyson walked in shortly after me. He sat down next to me and gave me half a smile.

"Hey, thanks again for last night, I really appreciate it," he said.

"Yeah, no problem! Anytime," I replied. The bell rang and Mr. Mason walked crisply into the classroom.

"Quiz today, told you this yesterday. It's rather lengthy, so you will have the entire hour to finish this. If you finish fifteen minutes before the bell, you will get your score before you leave. I just call it out when I'm done grading it. I understand not everyone is comfortable with that, but if you want to be in this class, you'll have to deal with it," Mr. Mason implied. I noticed a lot of people show their nervousness on their faces, especially Greyson.

"Hey, you'll be fine," I whispered.

"Quiz is out. There should be no socializing. I'm talking to you, Miss. Emerson," Mr. Mason scolded. I looked down at my desk. Greyson looked at me and gave me a toothless smile. Mr. Mason slapped two quizzes down at mine and Greyson's table. I reached for the quiz. I thoroughly understood each problem and flew through the quiz. I checked my work and found no errors. It only took me about twenty minutes. I was the first one done and everyone looked surprised when I went up to turn my quiz in.

"Speed does not define intelligence, Miss. Emerson. Did you check your work?" Mr. Mason asked as I placed my quiz on his desk.

"Yes," I replied confidently and went and sat back down. I noticed him pick up a pen and start going through my quiz. I looked over at Greyson and noticed he was surprisingly almost done with his quiz. I grabbed my English folder from my pile of stuff and began to work on the homework Mrs. Karson assigned us. I looked up and saw Mr. Mason, looking somewhat surprised about my quiz,

"Peyton Emerson, 100%:" he announced. Everyone gasped.

"A hundred?" Greyson whispered softly. I shrugged and went back to my homework. About ten minutes later, Greyson put his quiz to the front page and went up to turn it in. Other followed him and nervously turned them in. Mr. Mason was quick when it came to grading. After a few minutes, he reached for his grade book and switched for the next.

"Greyson Kole, 56%" Mr. Mason announced. Everyone cringed and I saw him shake his head, frustrated. I did not want to say anything because I knew Mr. Mason would kill me.

"Kelly Allan, 63%" Mr. Mason called out. Oh my god, these scores were awful. It must be really hard for everyone without genetically altered brains.

"Josh Simone, 49%" Mr. Mason called out. I cringed even harder. Then, I felt a small piece of paper touch my knee. Greyson had passed me a note! Here was the high school I had seen in the movies, with rebellion and sassiness and passing notes! I opened it quietly under the desk. It read,

Hey, I hate to bother you with this, but would you consider tutoring me? I would really appreciate it. I mean, I'm struggling and I need to do decent in this class. If it works for you, could you come over today after school? I can take you to my house from school and drive you home after. I would really appreciate it. -Greyson

I knew helping him was a good thing to do and that he needed it. I replied,

Yeah sure! I bet my sister could pick me up after, you sure on taking me back to my house?

No, I can take you home. It's the least I can do to repay you :). I saw you at your locker once, so I know pretty much where it is. I'll meet you after school.

I glanced at him and gave him a nod. Mr. Mason continued to give out foul scores and the next highest score after me was a 70%. After everyone had finished, Mr. Mason stood up.

"I am actually quite impressed by these quiz scores. They are usually far lower. For tonight's homework, I have a lesson in this packet. You will complete the packet and teach yourself how to do this lesson. Tomorrow I will teach the hard part, there will be a quiz on Thursday. Test on everything Friday. The rest of the hour is yours to either socialize or begin the packet," Mr. Mason explained. He began to pass out the packets. I noticed Greyson running his fingers through his hair, stressfully.

"Hey, it will be fine. We can work through it tonight, okay?" I ensured him.

"Okay. Honestly, thank you so much, Peyton," he said.

"Of course, I really don't mind helping you," I said.

"Good, because I really kind of want someone cool helping me, not some tutor who makes me feel stupid," Greyson said. I blushed.

"Yeah, my mom always made me feel that way when she would help me with my homework," I said, which was partially true. When I was little, my mom had me doing high school lessons and since my brain had not fully developed, it was hard.

"No way, I doubt anything has been hard for you. You got a frickin' 100 on this quiz. That is like, unheard of," Greyson pleaded.

"I don't know, I'm just good at math. English is another story," I joked. We both laughed. The bell rang and I left, as Greyson waited for Josh. When I came out, Erin was waiting for me.

"How was it?" Erin asked.

"Good," I replied. Then Greyson passed by.

"See you tonight," he said to me. I nodded.

"Wait a second. Miss. Peyton, do you have anything to tell me?" Erin asked me teasingly.

"I'm just tutoring him in Calc, nothing more, okay?" I explained.

"Whatever you say," Erin teased. We made our way to the foreign languages hallway, and Erin and I went our separate ways. I walked into French.

The rest of the day was a blur, a little of this, a little of that, but pretty normal. Each class was clearly easy for me and I was doing well. Hopefully not too well.