Chapter 1- Peyton POV- Moving Day

"Let's go Peyton!" my mother called from the car. I finished packing my final box looked around my empty bedroom. The bright blue walls were faded, but bright in the places where my poster and awards were once hung. I pulled my suitcase down the stairs and carried the last box with my other arm. I had my backpack flung around my shoulders. I quickly scampered down the stairs for the last time. I ran through the kitchen and handed my box to a man with an amber moving jumpsuit on.

"Thanks," I told him. He gave me a wink and hauled the box into the truck. I walked over to our shiny black Mercedes. I took one final glance at our luxurious home and stepped into the car. I was sad to leave Iceland, especially considering how long we had been there. We moved there when I was two. My parents were both extremely successful genetic scientists and the largest Genetic Laboratory in the world was there. I had been homeschooled my entire life, but my 18-year-old sister, Meredith, had been going to public school, though she had genetically altered muscles. I had done things like gymnastics and dance to keep me normal. I was homeschooled because, at the age of two, I had been taken in as an experiment in the lab. My parents genetically altered my brain to be 250% as smart as the average person. The surgery had been done illegally, but my parents were sure I would be unharmed and that it would work, considering it been tested on other animals before me. The surgery was successful and my life was kept decently private to protect me. If I was found out about, my parents would be arrested and Meredith and I would be taken by the government to see what had been done to us and use us as government soldiers against our wills. At least that was what our parents told us. I would be a sophomore in the fall and my parents decided it was time to move back to the United States and that I was ready to go to a real school since my experiment has recently ended. They were done testing on Meredith and me so they had begun a new project in the states and my parents were asked to run it. I never got mad at my parents for genetically altering me because I found it fascinating, yet it bothered Meredith. Her experiment ended when she was 15 as well, but while my parents were working on my experiment, she often felt left out. But, now we were moving to Chicago and that made me terrified.

Meredith hopped into the car and scooted in next to me. She was tall and skinny with long brown hair and turquoise eyes. Most of all she was muscular. She was a beautiful girl. My parents hopped into the front seats. My dad was a tall, muscular man. He had a shiny bald head and bright blue eyes. At first glance, you would never know he was the biggest nerd on the planet. My mother was short and petite with chin-length brown hair and bright green eyes. I looked out the window as it began to rain. I wiped a tear from my eye. I didn't want to leave Iceland. I wasn't ready to go to a public school, but my parents were confident that I was. But, I still had that gut feeling that I wasn't ready. Meredith rubbed my shoulder.

"It will be okay, Peyton," she whispered. My mom looked back at me and reached to put her hand on my knee, though her arm wasn't long enough. My dad stared at the road, not saying anything. I flashed a toothless smile in my mom's direction and went back to looking out the window. I plugged my earbuds into my phone and turned on some music, making me feel very peaceful and relaxed.

Once we reached the airport, I threw my phone and headphones into my book bag. We got onto a shuttle bus which took us to our concourse. We got our first class tickets and walked up to our gate to go through security. I threw my bag down on the metal detector and stepped through the security monitor. Nobody beeped this time and we all walked to our gate, which was A12. We stopped and got some coffee as well, which perked me up a bit. I was happy because we were in First Class because my parent's company paid the money for our move. I looked out the window, sad to say goodbye to the only home I had ever known. Meredith sat next to me and flashed a smile at me. I returned one, but it wasn't a real smile. I plugged in my headphones and prepared myself for a long flight to America.