Chapter Twenty

🖤

V E R O N I C A

"Um..." I trail off, scratching my neck. "Did you come here for Blake?" I ask, curious and wondering if I should make a big deal out of it in my mind.

Damon crosses his arms attractively with the same look in his eyes as earlier. "No, I came here for you."

Holy water.

"Okay." I breathe out.

"Were you heading somewhere?" He asks, his voice calm and steady.

I shake my head. "No... Well, technically yes. I went out to search for you."

His eyes sparkle in amusement. "You don't even know where I live."

My eyes widen. "I totally forgot about that."

He chuckles. "Clearly."

I take a few steps towards him and stop when there's a little distance between us. I meet his eyes. "Hey." I breathe out.

He keeps his gaze on me like he's searching for something. He raises an eyebrow after a moment before speaking. "You thought I was mad at you."

How did he...?

"Um..." I trail off, searching for the right words to say that I indeed did. "Well... it kind of seemed like it."

He grins. "As if I could stay mad at you for more than one minute."

I roll my eyes at his cheesiness. "So you're not mad?"

"Of course not." He says with a soothing voice. "Now that we've sorted that out."

I raise an eyebrow. "Go on."

He chuckles. "Well, come on."

I raise an eyebrow. "What?"

He grins. "We haven't greeted each other properly today."

I blink, trying to understand the direction this discussion seems to be headed to. "And..."

He chuckles again and spreads his arms. "Just come here."

I just stand in my spot for a moment, letting his words sink in as I run towards him and wrap my arms around his neck for dear life, making him stumble a little. He wastes no time and like yesterday, puts his hand on my head as if he's holding me in place.

Remind me to google this type of hug and its meaning later.

Nevertheless, it was in this exact moment that I realized something. If this would be my punishment if I go to hell. Like in Lucifer- they repeat the situation over and over again- I would probably think I'm in heaven because the thought of this lasting forever, seems like a great bargain.

I could feel mine and his heartbeats. They were beating with the same rythm and frequency. It felt like they were forming a melody, a song together.

He had his signature cologne that made me even more drawn to him. I closed my eyes and snuggled into his neck. We stayed like that until I had to break the silence. "Why did you leave just like that today?" I murmur, keeping my face in his neck.

When I open my eyes, I'm greeted with goosebumps on his neck. "I'm sorry. It was urgent. I couldn't leave Travis alone." I nod. It still doesn't explain his actions but okay. Good enough. "I want to take you with me next time." He mutters.