Chapter Four

"Like a rabbit in that one cartoon."

🖤

V E R O N I C A

I never understood the meaning of Eminem's words when he said that you could do anything you set your mind to. Yes, I did actually use the words when I studied for a grade that I desperately needed and it's still helped me, I managed to push myself and get all the good grades that I wanted. Because, in the end, it's all I care about, it's all I have left, my career will never decide to randomly leave me for someone that has more hair on her head or different color.

Regardless, all the things I've learned and all experiences are mine only and I still stay true to my words. I could never call my friends out of having someone that could potentially play them. They never listened, yet they still cried in front of me when they'd get their heart completely shattered. And ladies and fellas, that's how you eat up a big-ass punch.

Nevertheless, back to the topic, I never dig deep into his words and I never tried anything besides a new subject to study, yet. So, when I started taking care of myself, I started to feel relaxed and obviously less heavy every time I got out of the shower and I figured that I can't just study all day and stress. I'd probably do that if I was on a spaceship with limited options. But the truth is, we don't live there, yet, and the options are limitless.

That's when one of my ex boyfriends begged me to watch one movie that he liked, firstly I was like, boy, you know that I last three days maximum in a relationship, right? But I got bored and I decided to play the damn movie. That was the first of many times that I've seen 'Never back down'. I just couldn't explain the connection between me and fighting. I knew I was a girl and that it doesn't happen that often but when I first got into that fighting position, I fell in love. And I started watching every boxing movie ever made and try to learn a lot from every one.

But I still thought I'd never have the time. It was until recently that I started jumping rope to get in shape. The first days were catastrophic, my muscles felt like they were on fire and ice at the same time, my shoulders couldn't move because of the overworked supraspinatus and countless other stuff. I remember stopping for two days so I can walk properly again. But when I started again after my quick rehabilitation, I felt on top of the world, it became addicting. I enjoyed every result I was seeing and I enjoyed my energy levels going downwards and my sleep getting a lot more peaceful.

Then I tried some tricks, and I failed obviously, and with that, I continued failing until I finally got the criss-cross move out of the blue, reflexively. Suddenly, I could do a lot of them in one round. Same went with every trick I tried.

And I finally realized. I really could do everything I set my mind to. True words from a true legend.

The explaining of my admiration lasted until Blake made the mistake of taking out my headphones harshly. "Are you praising Eminem in your head again?" He asks with a annoying smile.

"Get lost." I grit out. "How did you know?"

"I can hear the music blasting even when I'm in my room." He says. "How are you not deaf?"

"Huh?" I ask with a wicked smile. "What did you say?"

"I asked you how are you not-" He pauses when realization slaps him in the face. "You smooth little motherfucker."