Falling In Love With My Enemy's Brother (Chapter Twenty-Four)

Start from the beginning

Maybe I'd really gone and messed things up, no hope for reconciliation, and had torn apart our relationship-and whatever we were now defined as.

My heart felt heavy and my chest clenched tightly as I stooped down to the pavement. Placing my head in my hands, I let my hair cascade down my face, keeping time with the tears that slid down also.

What had I let happen at Salt's? How could I have been such a fool? Because now, the only thing I had left to show for my mistakes was a broken heart.

How I made it through the rest of the day was a blur after the fact. I conveniently ignored both Luke and Parker and their pranks {i.e. heart pencils left broken in half on my desk}

and kept to myself, so that in itself seemed to be a contributing factor. After the final bell rung, I dashed into my car, deciding that on the ride home, I would make a quick stop.

Pulling up at the McDonalds closest to my house and stepping inside the whitewashed chain restaurant , I despairingly plunked money on the counter while glumly requesting a McFlurry to drown my troubles away with.

Too far gone in my own sorrow, I barely registered who was working behind the counter until a perfectly anti-makeup face peeked sheepishly from under the standard hairnet and bright golden hat.

"Serafina?" I exclaimed.

"Shh.....quiet, Sam!" Serafina flared, placing a manicured nail to her lips.

The irony of finding the most popular girl in school working at a fast food restaurant and getting paid minimum wage nearly tackled me head on and I almost dropped my frozen treat after a bewildered Serafina pushed it into my hands.

This was possibly the best thing that had happened to me in light of this crisis with Matt.

"What are you doing here?" I choked out, spooning the ice cream in my mouth quickly to cover up my almost-laugh.

Serafina glared at me, but beneath her apparent anger were traces of embarrassment and vulnerability.

"I got in trouble, okay. My parents figured I needed a break from the 'lavishness' of not having to make my own money for a change. That, and I snuck out to go hang with Dixon, my boyfriend. But, that's like, minor."

Serafina scooped an order of fries into a small cardboard container, tossing her silky hair as she handed them over to the guy behind the drive-thru window.

"Dixon!" She whispered, turning back to me and jabbing a thumb over her shoulder with a wink to the attractive-yet-stupid-looking drive-thru dude. I didn't recognize him from any high school around, and he definitely looked like a college student.

Typical Serafina. She'd probably gone through all the decent high school guys by now, anyway.

"He took the job to spend more time with me! Isn't that great? Best part is, the 'rents still don't know!" Turning to Dixon again, she threw him a kiss with her palm.

"Real great," I muttered, plucking my book bag of the ground and turning to go.

"Wait!" I stopped in my tracks and spun around, blinking my eyes shut in annoyance. Serafina stared at me doe-eyed. "What's your problem? Is it Mattie poo? Did something happen?"

Wow, for someone who spent time failing bonehead classes, this chick was good. But I really wasn't in the mood for discussion.

"It's none of your business, Serafina, what happened between us," I growled, putting emphasis on her name and shoving McFlurry into my mouth rapidly until it dribbled down my dress front so that I wouldn't have to talk to her for a prolonged amount of time, thanks to the full mouth I was obviously showcasing.