The Desert

The arid heat of the Syrian Desert was unforgiving, yet Sullivan trenched on. The gates were up ahead, Northeast of the third site. He wasn't quite sure of the distance though. It was based on Intel provided to him from Ryder's team and it was a fortunate turn of events for him because it literally cut his recovery efforts in half.

Knight Squad's current mission was also at one of the five sites, but Ryder's team currently had their hands full with Nia's shell of a body encompassing an ancient demon at the time. They were at the gates, and they were at the Nether Realm entrance which also contained the gates to the Underworld.

But it wasn't the site Sullivan was searching for. He was searching for the Dark Realm gates.

What he needed more than anything was the Sceptre of Life. It would give him the ability to resurrect Hecate because she was all that mattered to his immortal life. And his focus would not waver due to his love for her.

The other man accompanying him was a former brother at arms and dear friend who went by his team name, Reaper.

Reaper was a demolition and explosives specialist when he was the original Squad Team Leader for Knight Squad.

At least, until he died in the line of duty at Dante's Inferno, South Africa.

He sacrificed his soul to save the Other Realms, thus saving the world in the process.

He was going to always be a hero and legend amongst all the Knight Squads.

Reaper was now a Wraith or Spectre. It depended on which realm he visited.

But at least some things never changed. He was just as obnoxious in death as he was in life.

"The last time I was in Syria was back in '81. You remember that, right Sully? That was some crazy shit, man," jibed a transparent Reaper.

"I still think it was totally uncalled for Reaper. Do you know Ryder still refuses to sleep in just his tighty-whiteys anymore?" chuckled Sully.

"Did he ever get the feeling back in his ass cheeks?"

Reaper continued laughing softly as he continued on.

"I swear, I had no idea that Borderlands scorpions could continue living as AI. But you gotta admit you've never seen Ryder run so fast while he screamed like a bitch outside the tent, right?"

Sully remembered that night clearly.

The team was up all night playing five-card stud and drinking until they were shit-faced as was customary while awaiting their orders.

Fuego was about to turn in for bed when he came upon the scorpion on his pillow.

Before they supposedly killed it, they realized the new guy Ryder, who at the time was a straight-laced tool, hadn't been hazed nor welcomed properly into the team at the time.

So Reaper came up with the bright idea to stuff the supposedly dead Borderland scorpion down Ryder's boxers while he was we dead asleep.

Imagine their surprise when Ryder eventually ended up in the infirmary and the rest of the team was put on latrine duty for three months.

But it eventually ended up being a sad blessing in disguise for Ryder. Because just a week later, Reaper took up Ryder's spot while he was out on sick leave. And then after that, Reaper was no more.

But he was able to come and go now that the Nether Realm's gates were open again. It wouldn't matter anyway. Sully would've been able to summon him.

In fact, Sully could raise a whole army if he wanted to. It was one of the powers he manifested after he became immortal.

He wasn't of the Nether Realm, although Fuego killed him there.

Sully was of the Angelic Realm, and also a pureblood hybrid of divine Vanir Viking blood and a direct descendent to Freya, who was the wife of the supreme deity, Odin.

Sully's angelic name was none other than the highly revered archangel, Michael.