An Invitation

Magsimula sa umpisa

"WHAT?! Freya! They're dangerous, they'll use you!" I said popping off the frame. I had no idea what to say! I was stammering out words.

"I'd like to see them try. Who knows, maybe I can get The Order to release the prisoners they've taken. It's not like The Brotherhood is bending over backwards to help those already taken. Since I'm not a part of The Order or The Brotherhood, I should be the one to try and broker some kind of peace," she said.

"No. No! You shouldn't. Once you're on their turf no one could help you. You will be walking into the lion's den. Please, Freya I implore you don't meet with them," I knelt down to her side. I don't know what I would do if something happened to her.

"This is the only way I'm going to get Daniel's help. I have to try," she said.

A violent panic surged through my body, "But, but..."

She reached out and touched my cheek her touch felt warm and so soft, "I'll be fine." Besides, I don't think Anson is going to let them kill me.

You don't know that. He's most likely been told to seduce you to The Order's side. I'm just afraid you're falling for it.

You're probably, right. But I am curious to see their side of the story.

Why? I had to know.

She looked away from me retracting her hand almost like she was ashamed, "I'm not going to stay at Haven forever." I really didn't like that. "And it's nothing against you, Alaric, Leo, Milo or Bash. But..."

But?

"... I just don't think Havens the place for me. At least in the normal world I knew where I stood with everyone. I was the odd man out, but here everything I do is wrong it feels like...like... I'm always the problem or only looked at in Cecilia's ever-growing shadow. Since day one, no one has wanted me here-"

"That's not true; I want you here."

"It doesn't count if you're Bonded to me. You don't have a choice. There is only one person who just sees me as a person- Hoffman. But once the summer end's he won't need me either. I'm tired of having my confidence shredded. I'm not thriving here, but maybe I could-"

"Don't. Don't say that. Please," I felt myself falling apart. "I know it's not been easy here for you. But please don't join them." How many times did I say the exact same thing to Roman before he left?

If Freya joined The Order.... I don't know what I'd do.

She sat up, "I'm not joining any one's side. That's not changed, I'm just... I don't know, thinking out loud? You can forget everything I said."

"What did Anson promise you?" It had to be a hell of a sale.

"Just that I would be celebrated there." She was holding back something.

"And? The Elders love you like a daughter-"

She smiled and turned away from me, "They love Cecilia not me. Elder Favian likes me, but more out of curiosity. I just feel like I'm never going to grow if I stay here. I've never been the one to have an inferiority complex, but that's all that's been happening lately. I don't know... I guess I'm just tired."

"You're not inferior to anyone." I said wanting to set the record straight. How could she say that about herself? "Freya." I said softly turning her head to face me, "My Beloved, you are the most wonderful thing that has ever happened to Haven, to me. Each moment that you are here I catch myself smiling for no reason at all. I love your passion, your drive, your energy. Every sound of your voice is like music to my ears, a serene lullaby that lulls me to sweet daydreams. When I look into your eyes, I can see a brighter tomorrow. Your voice lifts my empty spirits and calms my thoughts. Your smile chases all my worries and uncertainties away." I meant every word I said. I should have said it sooner.

"Did you stop Zeus from killing me?"

"Yes. I should have intervened sooner." I'll have to live with that regret for the rest of my life.

"I know we're not dating, but did you sleep with Cecilia?"

"What? No. No. NO. She's been helping me with a project," I said still wanting to keep the dress a surprise. "Nothing more."

For now.... She said.

Not ever. I promised.

She didn't believe me, but I would prove it somehow. I stood up and offered her my hand. She took it, "I say we cut our losses on the door. One of the servants will eventually fix it."

My hands found themselves on her waist and I didn't want to let go. Freya had been holding so much back. At least in my arms I knew she was safe and cared for.

"Ouch," she said as a small black box fell on her head. No.

She pulled away from me and went to pick up the box, "Freya," I said momentarily stopping her, "Let me come with you, to The Order."

"Umm I don't think they'll let you in," she said a hundred percent right.

"If you ask, they may oblige," I already knew how The Order worked. It would start with simple gifts, then showing her a lavish lifestyle, a delusion of grandeur and so on. Each thing they did for Freya would be one claw digging into her back. And once The Order had her, there was no way they were going to let her go. She started to open the box when I heard voices approaching. I quickly teleported us to her room, "Don't let anyone here see you 'favoring' The Order. Their gifts are never free, everything they give you comes with a price or a purpose."

"Because a t-shirt is somehow going to turn me to the dark side." She said sitting on the bed opening the box.

"Where is it?" They already started to try and sway her.

"Top dresser drawer," she said. I found it in her underwear drawer. With anyone else this would have been embarrassing, but I couldn't help but laugh as I saw her panties all of which had cat puns: take these off right meow, eat meowt, meow chicka meow meow, pussy power-

She threw the box at my head, "Stop playing around in there."

Sorry. I said.

I quickly found the shirt and shut the drawer. Clearing my throat, I went over to sit next to her on the bed. Holding up the tank top I pointed to the dragon logo. "See? Evil."

"More like bad-ass."

"No." I lit my hand on fire and ran it across the logo. In the in the center of the dragon appeared a simple eye.

"See they're not even trying to hide the fact they were spying on you." I lit the tank in flames, burning it until not even the ashes existed.

"Now what are they trying?"

She held up a black letter with golden cursive handwriting and read, "To Miss Freya Donovan, Child of War. We have been pleasantly informed of your interest in The Order. The Ministry would love to make your acquaintance this Friday evening at eight o' clock at GB Roof Garden in Athens, Greece. We want nothing more than to spend the evening with such an esteemed guest as yourself. We look forward to meeting you," she mumbled something and then push the paper in my face, "Can you read the bottom part?"

"Una cum aeterna flamma," I said rolling my eyes, "It's Latin for, One with the eternal flame. It's The Orders motto."

"Does The Brotherhood have a motto?"

"Above all else unity," I said.

"Well, will you unite with me and go?" I gave her a dry look, "But, you have to behave. I have one shot to get Philip."

"This is a bad idea Freya. The Order will turn the conversation on you. Anything they have, they'll use against you to keep you where they want. We can save Philip, but... give me some time."

"You have two days," she said, "Whatever it takes, I will do. I'm going, and I'll try my hardest to get you in too."

I nodded. I was going to need a miracle.