chapter twenty-three: explanation

"That's a lot," Janelle said as she pushed her glasses up her nose, blinking as she processed the information

"And I get he has the right to be angry with me but-"

"Not really, you were in foster homes after you mom died right?" She asked.

"Yeah, but-"

"No buts, you weren't raised properly and I know that a lot of foster kids don't develop the same social skills like other kids, especially the ones that are moved around a lot," Janelle said.

"But I was aware of what I was doing," Elisa argued.

"He still could have been more compassionate, I don't know, maybe I'm biased," Janelle smiled and Elisa chuckled.

"Thanks for not freaking out on me," Elisa sighed in relief.

"No problem," Janelle said as she laid down in her bed and yawned, "orientation tomorrow, and I'm going to a choir practice after that, so I won't be here until six tomorrow night."

"Alright, well I'll be doing robotics and that's over at four so whatever," Elisa set her alarm on her phone and plugged it in, laying down and turning off the light switch in the room and shut the blinds.

"Your power is so cool," Janelle mumbled as she fell asleep.

"It's only a fraction of what I can do," Elisa muttered as she turned and stared at the photo of the Avengers and and Bucky on Christmas.

Elisa awoke to her alarm blaring and she hit the stop button, groaning as she got up out of the bed. She stretched and cracked a few bones in her back. Elisa looked over at Janelle who was putting on her glasses.

"I'm gonna head over to the showers," Janelle mumbled and stood up, gathering her stuff along with her key and left. Elisa changed her clothes, putting on deodorant and walked over to her desk, pulling out her makeup and vanity mirror.

Elisa finished getting ready, sighing as she did. She admits that she hasn't had the same light in her eyes since Peter left. She wasn't able to find happiness in the stuff she did. Elisa looked at herself in the mirror and nodded when she was happy with how she looked.

She grabbed her key and left a note for Janelle to let her know where she went. Elisa left the room, locking the door and she went to building D where the orientation was held. She sat amongst other people, saving the spot next to her for Janelle. Going on her phone, she went through her texts to see Tony had sent a document link.

I'm sorry.

Elisa read through the essay. She was on the verge of tears when she finished, Janelle by her side when she looked over.

"What's that?" Janelle asked and Elisa showed her.

"Awe," Janelle smiled and handed it back when she finished.

"Yeah," Elisa said softly and texted him back.

Elisa
You didn't have to do that, I forgive you, and I'll always love you. Why else do I call you dad?

Tony
It's necessary, I shouldn't have pushed you into it and you call me dad because your birth certificate says so

Elisa
The certificate was made by SHIELD and that fell so

Tony
You're still my kid so suck it.
Have fun at orientation and signup for ambassador training.

Elisa
Okay? Lol and thanks, I'll call you when I'm done with Robotics.

Tony
See ya, kid.

Elisa put her phone down when the President stood up on the pedestal.

"Hello new students!" He smiled, "welcome to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology!"

Elisa glanced around at the people around her, eyes were dead set on President Reif.

"I know you guys aren't fans of being up early so I'll make this short so you can get on, but as a school, we pride ourselves on teaching the best of the best, Tony Stark for instance," he spoke, Elisa's face draining as she anticipated his next words, "we even now have his daughter, Elisa!"

At those words, people turned their heads trying to find her, Elisa tucked her head down scratching the back of her head.

"Here at MIT you'll find yourself cultivating your skills to use for your career! And with the September Foundation, you inventors can find a few eggs to crack," President Reif smiled, "so, as Tony Stark wonderfully put, get to cracking!"

"He didn't say that," Elisa mumbled as her and Janelle stood up. Elisa walked down to the signup sheets, finding Ambassadors training and wrote her name down.

She turned to see Janelle checking her phone.

"See you at six, we can go find a Panda Express," Elisa smiled.

"Alright, have fun in robotics," Janelle waved and walked off.

Elisa opened the map on her watch and followed the path that Megan set for her. She sighed as she thought of Peter once more, missing the sight of him.

The sound of his voice.

Even his touch.

———

short chapter.