chapter one: meeting

Elisa loved to watch people

Elisa loved to watch people. Of course, only when she's invisible, Elisa hates human interaction, she never wanted to talk to another person and her father knew that too.

She would walk the streets, sit on an unused bench at Central Park, and she would watch, take mental pictures. Because when she would get home, she would paint her favorite memories. A boy helping an old woman cross the street.

A woman giving the last of the money in her wallet to the old man on the sidewalk. It warned Elisa's heart. Although she would see filth roam those same streets, people stealing, raping, killing, it was disgusting.

And that's when Elisa would come in, and stop them, it wasn't fulfilling but she was content with lives still being able to live. It brought a smile on her face when she could see the relief fill someone's eyes as they ran from the criminal. That's what kept Elisa outside. Apart from finding the mental pictures.

Because when she would go home, she's paint those pictures for when she gets old and can't remember her last name, she'll see those paintings, and she hopes that she'll be happy.

That's why she was here, walking down the street on a muggy afternoon, school had released its kids for the day and she could see some walking about, going off with their business unaware of her gaze.

She was getting hot and couldn't risk herself become visible, so she did what any sensible person would. She walked into the store and got herself a drink. She just didn't pay.

As she walked out she turned her head to see the most beautiful thing in the world.

A boy and his friend. He seemed to be staring straight through her as she held the Mountain Dew that wouldn't be invisible until she drank it and threw away the bottle. So she chugged it and recycled.

As she went off to walk past him, he stood there in shock.

"I shit you not i just saw a Mountain Dew float out of that store," he said in a amazement and Elisa smiled, she liked his voice.

It had this boyish tone layering over a honey sweet warmth. She followed him.

"You're just thirsty, go get some water," his friend said the boy shook his head.

"I know what I saw, my nerves are on edge," Peter said and held his arm up, showing the hairs standing up straight. Elisa stared at the boy, cocking her head to the side, giving him a once over.

She followed the boy and his friend as they walked off.

"Peter, seriously, you need some water," The friend pointed out and Elisa smiled.

His name is Peter.

Elisa continued to follow him until they walked back into the bodega and she watched them interact with people. She was amazed at how they could walk and talk with confidence. They didn't care who saw them. Elisa could never.

She forgot all what she saw that day in order to replace her memory with Peter. Elisa went out with them as they left, heading off to the apartment building, Peters friend leaving and it left Elisa to watch and get close to Peter as he put on his headphones. She could faintly hear his music. Elisa loved it.

Elisa followed him home, she wanted to learn him, know who Peter was as a person. She wanted to know what went on behind his beautiful face.

It was when she memorized the way to his bedroom window that she took off. She went home to see Tony, the man she learned to accept as a father figure.

"Elisa Jane Stark," he father spoke and she sighed as became visible.

"Yes?" She asked as she knew already what was coming.

"This is the third training session you skipped out on!" her father spoke up, throwing his hands in the air.

"I've already beat Happy so many times, and have you seen his cardiogram?" She asked and she looked to Happy.

"No offense but you have four seconds of fight left in you save it for the next invasion!" She said and her father pinched the bridge of his nose.

"You'll be start Krav Maga with a new trainer next week, no skipping out on them," he said and Elisa nodded. She walked off to her art room and got the new canvas set up on her easel.

Elisa got all the necessary paint and outlined Peter. She remembered the lighting of the sunset as she stared into his brown eyes that became golden from the sun. Elisa smiled when she was halfway done. She loved it. She walked over to the mini fridge in the room to grab a water and she walked back and chugged.

She used her telekinesis to lift the pallet and brush and she took it, finishing her painting as the last stroke of his hair was on the canvas. Elisa dated it for her memory and smiled as she turned to the mess she made.

Elisa cleaned off all her brushes and pallet and put everything away or out to dry. She left the room as she found it with the exception of her new addition. She shut the door behind her and sighed.

Life was slightly unusual for Elisa, but she didnt know what normal was.

And she was okay with that.

———

short chapter