Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Lightningfrost headed towards StreamClan territory. A wave of realisation flooded over her as she realised that this was the last time she was walking the through DarkClan territory as a DarkClan warrior. She tried to brush off the thought and focus on her new clan. A pelt brushed against hers, Shadowmoon.

"How was your journey?" Her mother asked, her green eyes wide with curiosity. Lightningfrost looked forward. Thistlehawk lead the way with Hawksoul close behind. Cherrytree walked with River and her three kits whilst Grassblade took the rear. She twitched her whiskers and turned to Shadowmoon.

"It was... interesting" she replied with a faint smile. Shadowmoon smiled back as her. Lightningfrost realised how much she has missed her mother and how much she admired her. Shadowmoon was beautiful, she was a dark - almost black - tabby with golden brindle stripes running down her flank with a cheetah printed under belly. She was also one of the most skilled hunters in the clan, there was not many warriors who has mastered the skill of catching bats. Lightningfrost looked back at her mother. Her muzzle was stained in a few grey flecks. A pang of sadness spread through her, her mother was getting old.

"How come you never had any more kits?" Lightningfrost asked. Shadowmoon glanced at her, shocked. The tabby narrowed her green eyes in thought for a spilt second before replying.

"I'm very content with you. I worry enough about you, I do not have it in me to be worrying about anymore kits -" she cut herself short quickly. Lightningfrost gave her a side glance.

"Continue" she said. Shadowmoon twitched her whiskers and looked to Thistlehawk.

"After your brother died, I could not bring myself to bare anymore kits" she replied sadly. Lightningfrost felt bad for asking. Her litter mate had died when he was only a kit because of Lightningfrosts destiny. StarClan took pity on the kit so trained him in StarClan. Shadowmoon was only meant to bare one kit, but not even StarClan can control a mothers litter. Lightningfrost rested her tail on her mothers shoulder and gave her a soft smile, which Shadowmoon returned.

"How were things in DarkClan after I left?" Lightningfrost asked her out of curiosity. Shadowmoon let of a small purr of amusement as her mind drifted back.

"Well there was a battle, Sunsky and Greydawn are mates, along with Snowfeather and Smokestorm" she purred. Lightningfrost was shocked that Sunsky and Greydawn had become mates, she had never pictured the grey tom being capable of loving anyone but himself. The pairing of Smokestorm and Snowfeather did not surprise her however, the white warrior always did have a soft spot for him.

"Did anyone die in the battle?" Lightningfrost asked, concerned. Shadowmoon shook her head and proudly looked over to Thistlehawk.

"Your father helped to lead the battle though" Shadowmoon said proudly. Lightningfrost looked forward at her father. The large grey and white tom flicked his tail. Lightningfrost had always looked up to her father. His muscles rippled through his pelt. He always held a sense of power, even though he never became deputy, she knew that he would have made a very fine leader. He was extremely battle smart and wise.

"He's too old" her mother cut her off from her thoughts. Lightningfrost looked at her. Shadowmoon shook her lead, slowly and sadly, "I know that you would love to make him your deputy but he is getting old Lightningfrost, he would not be able to keep up with the other leaders"

"It's not about age, it's about what type of leader you are. He deserves it, more than anyone" she said sharply, looking at her father again.

"We are here" her father said turning to look at her. Lightningfrost turned to the cats.