You, Me and a Bed Makes Three (23)

-Old Friends-

It was nearing the end of October. Half term had arrived and the few of the guys, that did still turn up regularly for school, had decided to celebrate in true guy style by getting wasted everyday of the week. No doubt forgetting the coursework they should have been doing.

Shaun had decided to throw a Halloween party. I think he likes to play dress up far too much. He has, after all, asked me to put on a French maids outfit or a nurses uniform when we've been fooling around. Of course he would always say it was a joke when I would look at him with a quizzical and confused stare.

A week had flown by and every time I went out in search of my next victim - all though I'm sure they don't feel like a victim - I would find myself searching for more then I usually did. He wouldn't have the right eye's, didn't wear the right clothes. Stupid insignificant things. It made no sense to me. But something just wasn't there. It was getting ridiculous.

I did, however, find myself in bed with Vince one morning but he assured me we didn't have sex. Not for lack of trying on my part apparently. He told me that he wasn't in the mood. Yeah right. Stupid bloody Shaun and his 'no more sleeping with Harley' rule. I was sure he was behind the lack of attention I was getting from the guys. The way he would glare at them when I was being overly friendly, that and the way Vince avoided the subject suspiciously, declaring he needed food instead of denying it.

As it was nearly the end of the month I had been pad by the café and now I was currently on my way to the shops to buy some paint so I could finally redecorate my room. In some weird way I was hoping that if I did redecorate it it might make me want to go home more often. But I wasn't putting to much faith into it. It wasn't my room I was avoiding, it was the whole place and the people within it that filled my mind with memories of the one person I try so hard to forget.

So here I was walking, as usual, to the shops. I was wearing my usual attire, a short denim skirt that was tastefully ripped and had paint stains all over, a purple tank top showing off my cleavage, my leather jacket, I had recently found in Shaun's cupboard, and a big turquoise woolly scarf. I was wearing ankle boots and flesh colour tights. I must admit I did look good. Slightly rocker meets boho. My hair was its usual messy, wavy, almost curly, state flying around every where as the autumn winds progressively dared to turn into those bitter winter ones.

As cars drove past a few honked due to my short skirt, I assume, but I was used to it. Heck I'll admit I even liked it. I wouldn't dress like this other wise.

I was walking down one of the more pedestrianised areas when a car slowed to crawl near me. Assuming it was so that someone could get out I carried on ignoring the car that was almost slowing to meet my pace. That was of course till a familiar voice called out my name.

"Harley?" Jake asked as though he was unsure.

I stopped and turned to see him sitting in his black ford fiesta. It wasn't a fancy car at all, even though he could probably afford one, but it was nice all the same.

I smiled at him. "hello stranger." is said cheerfully. I stepped closer to his car and peered in the open window he had called out of.

"what you doing down this way?" he asked confused.

The shopping complex I was headed for was mainly for furniture and decorating stuff, you know the sofa shop, carpets place and garden centres. So I guess he had reason to question why I was walking along the strip of shops designed for home owners.

"getting some paint." I told him casually.

"oh right. Want a lift?" he asked.

I looked down the road. The hardware store was only at the end, a mear few hundred yards. Getting a lift from him wouldn't exactly benefit me now, like it would have if he had found me ten minutes ago.