chapter fifty-nine | | echo

Does alive mean breathing or does alive mean you're awake? I could list off a bunch of people who are dead without breathing, but at the same time, I can list off a bunch of people who are alive but dead.Life support, depression, it all cracks the same mirror eventually and the people who are alive only see bright colours so if the dead can feel something other than the icy cold and bitter air of the ground then maybe they aren't dead, maybe they're alive.

But, again, what's alive? Okay, since I'm one for definitions. Alive means: (Of an animal, person, or plant) living; not dead. Joy, help there.I guess I can't tell you what life is. I can't tell you what death is, I can't tell you the in-between of heaven and death, like Susie Salmon in the lovely bones.

I can't express what it's like to be dead, but being alive and dead.When you're alive, but not dead, and dead, but not alive, you're not exactly a person. Besides the DNA molecules and particles that coat your body and make your head up into something that is not what you'd imagine when you imagine the anatomy of a skeleton, you're kind of a ghost.

You spark through the air, but you're not exactly there. Kabbalistic thoughts can sometimes tell you otherwise, and you may think that it's okay to hurt yourself or end yourself for once and for all, but that's all that's promising you you're still one of the seven billion people on Earth.So, is being dead the same thing as being alive?

Well, remember that being dead means that you're not exactly believing you're alive, but you're like a flower wilting. Not because you're broken, but because you're dying, and if you're dying, then you're also dead because since we're born that's the thing we start doing, and it all happens eventually. So, life isn't the same thing as death, but then again life doesn't exist, because life is the state of not being dead (by definition), and since we're always dying and never alive, life isn't something that you exactly live through but more so a myth or something we say to each other when we'd like to imagine us being in the world.

Which, by the way, I never understood. If you're dead, you're gone, so is death the state of being alone in the ground, or is death all of us combined, slowly dying and never living because none of us are truly alive? Maybe some of us are more dead than others, but some of us may be living. Yet there's always a little, tiny bit of death that's in our heads keeping us from traveling through the life of our bodies, which is one of the reasons why nobody is alive.

But then again, if life exists, does death?I guess that goes into play with everything. With the emotions, with the loss, the horrors, the pain, the sadness. Everyday it just repeats. Every single week something else happens to keep us dead again, once more, once more. Dead, never alive. Every week comes to an end only to repeat, so a week never ends like a life never dies, because how life doesn't exist--nor does Sunday.