chapter fifty-four | | lynne

"Come on." Mark put his arms around me as we sat down behind a tree, staring at the ground. We were so tired of running. So tired of the breathing. So tired of everything.

"Why? Where are we gonna go?" Jinxx asked as he hit the tree. "We should just sit here and wait for the walkers to tear us apart."

I shook my head. "No. We have to find them." I said as I grabbed my map and looked down at it. "Caleb's not an idiot. Before he died he had to have drawn out a safe house. Something."

Jinxx looked over and shook his head. "You're stupid, Lyne. They're all dead. Everyone is dead. So by the time we get there, they'll be gone. It'll be dark. We're all fucking alone."

"Luna's smart, Echo's smart--."

"Shut up, Lyne! Everyone's dead!" Jinxx screamed.

"Jinxx--." Mark tried to reason.

"I'm not going to convince myself I'm never going to see Bella again. That I'm never going to see Lisa again--."

"Why do you even care?" Jinxx asked, which made me tilt my head. "You made your sister cut herself and run away and you abandoned the one girl who gave a shit about you! And then you lied to me! He's dead! So get over it, Lynne."

I froze and he must have noticed my tears that filled my eyes.

I just wanted to find a safe haven. I wanted everyone to be happy. I didn't want everyone to feel like the world was what we lived in. Maybe if I kept saying that it was going to be okay, then we'd forget that Caleb was dead. Maybe - just maybe if I kept everyone's happiness up we'd still be able to run away from the demons that haunt us and the walkers that chased us down the streets.

Maybe if I kept being optimistic, we wouldn't be scared anymore. Maybe we would find the feeling of arms wrapping around us or the look of two green eyes staring into our soul, promising nothing but love and harmony.

Maybe we just needed to survive.

"I didn't want her to be in pain...I didn't want to abandon her...I just...I wanna make everyone happy."

Jinxx froze and tilted his head, his eyes glaring at me.

"Well guess what Lynne? If your plan sticks with that then maybe you should go to the walkers and kill yourself, because you can't make anyone happy. You lied to me, you lied to your sister. You lied to Luna and now you killed them all!" He screamed loudly.

I covered my mouth, trying to keep my balance as I went to turn away. Mark put a hand on my shoulder, but eventually just followed me too.

I didn't want to listen to him, I just wanted to get to the cabin.

Soon I heard Jinxx's footsteps and I couldn't help but let out a warm sob through the crunching of wood underneath us.

Mark sighed, and Jinxx shook his head as tears fell from my eyes.

And it was silent once more.