chapter thirty | | lynne

"Luna, what's for dinner?" I asked Luna curiously as everyone sat in the living room.

"It's not my turn to make it, dipshit," Luna answered snarkily. I did a quick count in my head and then sighed as I leaned back.

"It's my turn," I said, pushing hair out of my eyes. Luna gave me an acknowledged glare, which made me smile as I got up.

"Well, I need help for what I'm planning to make." I said, looking over to see Mark's arms were wrapped around Luna.

A few minutes later, I was in the kitchen with Echo - in whom I managed to pry away from Rhys. Thank God we don't need to worry about her gaining a crush or anything.

I handed her a bowl of sugar as she coated the very little materials we had into it. "Now, Echo, I am going to be teaching you how to make my famous and family friendly alternative chocolate cookies."

"Alternative?" She countered. I looked down at the materials we had and grabbed the small bottle of wine we had saved. Echo's eyes glanced down to them and then to me as I smiled.

"Don't worry, I have regular cookies for Bella."

A stylish grin roamed her face, her hand reaching down to get some of the cookies.

I put the small bottle of milk into the sugary and egg-batted mess, myself working on the chicken we would be having.

There's not much food we could go off of, so it seemed that sealed and packed chicken from a year ago is all we're gonna get.

"Hey, Lynne, can I talk to you?" Lisa asked me from the side of the kitchen, leaning on the door.

I turned to Echo, who shrugged her shoulders. Normally, I wouldn't be so okay with following her and talking to her after she yelled at me, but there was a similar red tint in her eyes from her exhaustion just a little bit before. Maybe she got over herself.

I walked to her, as she lead me to the hallway. "Lynne, I need to talk to you." She began. I nodded.

"I figured," I said, "What's wrong? Did I do something else wrong?" I asked sarcastically, making her roll her eyes.

"No, okay? And I know I've been a jerk to you lately, but Lynne..." I could tell that there was something in her eyes. "I'm so tired..."

I put my hand on her shoulder. "What's wrong? Lisa, tell me what's wrong. What's been wrong with you?"

She stood silently, crossing her arms, but keeping her eyes on mine.

"You don't really hate me, right?" I asked a little quieter.

"What? No! Of course not! I couldn't hate you, Lynne! I could never hate you!" She said, with a sigh.

"Then why do you act like I hate you?" I asked.

She pushed a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear.

"I don't hate you...I think it's the opposite, and that's the problem." She looked to me as if I were going to raise an objection before she lowered a sigh. "Lynne, I know it's wrong and it's immoral but I don't care, okay? I've been trying to get away from you because ..I don't know how to explain it..."

"Are you afraid of me?" I asked.

She looked to me as if I had just stabbed her in the heart for a few seconds, glowing her vision to my eyes. "No, and I hope you don't hate me for this - but it's not fair that I keep putting you through this." She slowly leaned down and took a moment in front of me, to see if I would move or flinch in any way. When I didn't move, she put her lips upon mine. I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was.

I kissed her back gently, just as she had the time to pull away and look into my eyes once more. "I love you." She finished.

"I love you too..." I said gently, thinking it would fall like glass if it fell from my lips. She gave a smile to me, and I felt my heart skip as Echo managed to pull me away to finish dinner.