chapter thirty-six | | echo

"Bella!" I call after the girl as she runs up the stairs. Lynne's already moving, trying to run after her but I grab her arm and pull her back. "No, I'll go talk to her."

"But..." Lynne began and I silenced her with a glare. Releasing her shirt I calmly walk up the stairs and down the hall to Bella's room. Taking a deep breath I knock on the door not surprised when an angry yell sounded on the other side. "Go away! Go hang out with your new people!"

"It's Echo." I say, hoping she didn't remember Rhys was here.

"Oh." The door clicked and a tear-streamed Bella stood in the doorway.

"Hi." I say unsure of what to do.

Bella turns and walks towards her bed, and I hesitantly follow her.

"Why are you here?"

I shrug, "Why are you?"

She starts to laugh but cuts it off quickly. "You can go hang out with the others, I don't mind."

"Why would I? They don't pay attention to me anyway." I say, and Bella whips her head around to stare at me.

That worked. It wasn't entirely false either, Luna and Lynne barely acknowledged my presence before the newcomers, but now with them here, I've gotten even lower on their priority list. I respected that they all had relationships and romance, but still, sometimes I wished they would want to be around someone for something other that good sex.

"You too huh." Bella breaks into my thoughts.

"Yeah, the carrier of this group." I roll my eyes.

"Hey, Luna's pretty good at fighting too." Bella says indignantly.

I chuckle, "Yes I know." I ruffle her hair, "It's called a joke."

"Well, if they don't like you either, we can run away together! It will be so fun Echo! Please?"

My gaze turns cold, that wasn't what I was going for at all.

"No Bella, we're staying here." All emotion dropping from my voice.

"Why? No one cares about us." Tears gather in the younger girl's eyes.

"Yes they do Bella. I do. We all do." I reassure her, "Hey, maybe we can go on a raid sometime. The two outcasts together. How does that sound?"

She brightens up, "Really? You want to spend time with me?"

"Of course! It'll be fun, you'll see. We can spend the whole day alone." I jump off the bed and hold out my hand.

Bella grabs it, a smile shining through the tears, "I'd like that."

***

"Ok guys I got her down!" I say loudly as the two of us trudge down the stairs.

"Bella!" Lynne practically lunges at her, nearly knocking me into the wall.
"Ah!" Bella gasps as her sister wraps her arms around her.

"I'm so glad you're ok!"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" Bella asks pushing Lynne away so she could regain her footing.

"Because Echo's generally not good at pep talks." She glances at me.
"Yeah, ok sure Lynne." I roll my eyes.

"So what're we gonna do now?" Luna says, "It's only been two days and we've already contracted three group members, been shot, attacked by walkers, and Bella here was almost kidnapped."

"How about we just stay in the house?" Rhys says softly.

"Nope." I respond almost immediately. I could not stand the thought of being stuck in here for the rest of my life.

"Yeah, Echo promised she would take me on a raid." Bella raises her chin.

Lynne's icy glare found me in an instant and I let out a nervous laugh, "Just a small one. I promise."

"Aw come on Echo!" Bella protests.

"Don't worry, we'll still spend the whole day out there."

Lynne's eyes were practically an inferno at this point.
"Don't worry Lynne, no one ever dies when I'm around." I say.

"Oh shut up." Luna hissed.

"Admit it Lune, I'm good at my job." I smirk.

"Remind me why we keep you around." Lynne rubs her eyes.

Everyone laughs, except me.

I sigh, "Whatever, but a promise is a promise. We're going out tomorrow, just the two of us." My gaze lands on Lynne and Luna.

Luna mutters something to Mark before looking up, "Fine. Be careful."

"Thank you." I say with a mocking bow, "Now, can we please have those cookies now?"