chapter three | | lynne

My thought on death is as inconsistent as it is difficult to understand. I'm not sure if dead means gone forever, or if we're all dead, or if death is a pathway.

When you're alive,

Well... "alive"...

You're not exactly in the mindset of wondering what life is like on the other side of the spectrum. You're more so wondering how you're going to get through life.

So when someone talks to me about death, the only thing I manage to stammer up is, "I'm so sorry, that must be so difficult. You're brave." Meanwhile, my inner self is screaming to me, "What the Hell? You couldn't have been more cliche back there, by the way."

But in my, and I'm sure a lot of others, defense... what else are we supposed to say? When someone dies our mind set is in the both bland and unmeant rhyme of consistency. It's as if it is second nature.

It's only when one actually looks into death, and sees it for what it really is, than more of a pitstop or a reason to spend moments crying, will we ever realize what it actually is. What the purpose of it is.

The reason people die is a set so that we can foresee what we're going to do about it - how we're going to react, how it is going to affect our future and hospitality. How we're going to live.

Which may seem unfair in the moment, yes, but physically you cannot do anything about death - and of course, it's okay to be sad.

It's normal to be sad when someone dies.

But when someone is dead, they are free, right?

If people are free when they are dead, wouldn't everyone wanna be dead? And I don't mean people who are suicidal, no not in the slightest! What is the one thing holding them back? It's not, "oh, if I kill myself then I'll miss four tests next week!" No, it's 'I don't wanna hurt people.'

That's what happens when someone dies. They're afraid of hurting people, and nobody is going to truly go away if they feel others are hurting.

If you spend your days crying over your mother who is dead, then perhaps she'll never truly leave and reach the happiness you want to swear that she has.

It's something that's cold and broken, like a whisper, but it's the truth that people try to hide behind. It's the truth that tells us how we are.

It tells us what happens when something bad does, like what happens when someone is to die.

They never really leave until they feel happiness and they feel that you are finally accepted of their death - that you understand.

That's when they're free, not the tombstone or the obituary that says the word 'Deceased'.