chapter thirteen | | lynne

We bid goodbyes to our new friends and showed them to their room. Soon, it was midnight and Bella collapsed in my arms from her exhaustion, making me smile as I led her to her room and placed her on her bed gently. Her eyes shut immediately as she clutched her bears in her right hand. I planted a small kiss on her forehead and pulled the blankets over her sleeping form, crossing my arms before spinning on my heel to walk away.

"Lynne," I heard her mutter gently, barely audible besides the yawn that was locking her throat.

"Yeah?" I asked, slightly shocked that she was still awake. She smiled.

"What was life like? With mommy?" She asked. I froze and raised an eyebrow. "I know that she died when she had me, but...was she nice when you were with her?" I slowly sighed and sat on her bed.

"Yeah, mommy was super nice," I said, rubbing her back. "And so was Alex." She perked up at the sound of her sister's name.

"Did Alex know mommy?" Once again, I nodded.

"Yeah, everyone knew her." I said, "she was the sweetest woman you could know. So gentle, she'd never hurt a fly."

"Did she know that she was gonna die when she had me?" I froze at her words and nodded slowly. "So...why'd she choose me?"

"Bella, why would you ask that? She chose you because she knew that you were...you had potential, okay?"

"But so did she," she argued, her voice now cracking, "Lynne...I'm sorry for taking mommy away."

"Okay, we're done talking about this," I said, looking down at the floor. She stayed silent and then I looked back up to her. "No, you know what? Bella, you did not take mommy away. Okay? Mommy knew that she was gonna die but she didn't want you to. She knew that you should live instead of her."

"But--."

"No, don't 'but' me. Mommy did it because she loves you. We all love you. And we all love her. Just because she's gone doesn't mean she didn't want to." Bella was now mute. "Okay? Luna loves you, Caleb loves you, Echo loves you, I love you. Hell, even Jinxx loves you. And he hates everyone," I said, making her giggle as she shook her head. "Now can you please go to bed?" I asked.

"Okay, Lynne," she said, as I pushed her blonde hair behind her shoulder. "I love you..."

"I love you too," I said, opening the door and watching her fall asleep before I walked to my own and shut her door. "Goodnight."

It was when I was in my room and barely in bed when I heard the faint, "goodnight, Lynne." from her room.