chapter twenty-seven | | echo

I closed the door to my room, making sure it was locked before proceeding to lay down on my bed. Removing my leather harness first before taking off my sweatshirt, I closed my eyes and felt for the darkness in my chest.

Yes!

The agony hit sharply and I was jerked from the balance. I cry out in pain before slamming my hand over my mouth. Wouldn't want to draw attention to myself.

I tried again, to find the burning feeling in my chest, this time fighting past the pain the enveloped me. I could feel the walls I built cracking and I knew I couldn't let them break. Focusing my energy, I push the darkness away and repair the walls, trying to conjure up some light to help me fend off the pain.

I got rid off enough so I pulled myself back into my reality and gasped for breath. The pain in my chest dulled to a faint throb. I sighed and rolled over to get ready to leave when I heard a knock on the door.

"Hey, are you in there?" Rhys's voice comes through the wood. "It's kind of awkward not knowing anyone."

"Yeah one sec." I pull my sweatshirt back over me and move towards the door. Opening the handle with a click, I let Rhys inside.

"Thanks." She says walking over and sitting down on the bed.

"How're you finding it?" I say.

"Alright. Better than being alone." She plays with the sheets.

"Yeah." I move to get up but the opening of the door startles me.

Luna's standing in the door frame, arms crossed, Mark close behind her.

"Can I help you?" I say moving forward.

They start interrogating Rhys like crazy asking her how many people she's killed and walkers and shit, while I'm mentally answering the questions on my own in my head.

"How many walkers have you killed?"

Psh. As many as I can.

"How many people?"

37 and counting.

"Why?"

Cause I want to and so they can't potentially kill me first.

Knowing if I said these answers out loud at the start Luna would've shot me on the spot.

"Welcome to the group." Luna shakes Rhys's hand. She looks relieved, I mean even if Luna didn't approve I'd force her to let Rhys stay. Stupid Luna can't have all the authority.

"Right, what's for dinner." I say making for the door.

"I don't know yet." Luna says following me out, "You can pick if you'd like."

Hell yeah.

I walk over to the kitchen and into the pantry, grabbing what I was looking for and exiting.

"What'd you get?" Mark asks.

I held up the box, "Cookies."