√ || karma • a better place

« teacher au »
____

"What do you think you're doing?"

"I'm killing myself,"

"Why?"

"So I can make the world a better place."
____

(Y/N) (L/N) WAS a strange young lady residing in one of the rooms of a condominium near a Junior High School where she goes as a teacher. You could say she was quite the mystery around her floor, word by word spreading around her neighbors every time they caught a glimpse of her.

She had a very odd personality—always the observant of her surroundings, and never the one to talk much. Nobody really saw her on a daily basis, except for the morning and afternoon transits towards the job and going home. She rarely gets spotted going to the supermarket, due to her night owl habits.

You would never hear her talk as she kept a straight, expressionless face. Almost professional, you could say, but expressionless was more fitting.

Everyone thought she was just like that—emotionless. Not the type to show a lot of feelings. Just professional.

Her life was just like a routine. You could compare her to a robot, even.

Due to her peculiar habits, and the information that spread around the building, a certain young man became intrigued about her.

Sporting crimson-red hair and intimidating mercury eyes, Karma Akabane was one heck of a guy.

He started to follow the young woman around, keeping track of her odd behavior in case he discovers something out. As stupid and time-consuming as it may sound, Karma found it pretty fun. Eventually, he caught up on her routines, even the usual time when she'd go out of her room to go attend to her everyday necessities.

After three whole months of observing her, he was starting to believe (Y/N) was just an odd woman, who prefers to be alone and keep silent. That is, until yesterday.

Karma was just coming home from a tiring day on his job as an economy politician, hoping to get a good night's sleep once he plops down.

When he finally unlocked the door to his room, he caught a glimpse of the (H/C) haired girl, walking towards the stairs leading to a higher floor.

How odd—her room was a few floors below. And as far as he knew, she never visited someone else in the building. This made the red-haired man intrigued, once again, letting his curiosity get the best of him.

He began to go upstairs, following the young maiden towards who-knows-where. Making sure to keep the sound of his footsteps at minimum, he never took his eyes off of her, hoping to not lose sight as she continued to make her way up.

Eventually, after what seemed like forever, she finally stopped, facing the door leading to the topmost part of the building. Karma knit his brows in confusion, wondering what on Earth she would possibly do in a floor like this—but he had a pretty good guess at the back of his mind.

No, that can't be it—right? Karma didn't want to entertain the thought much further as he sneaked outside before her, making sure to be silent.

(Y/N) stood still, looking at the setting sky before her. The strong gusts of wind made her loosely tied up hair come undone, slowly swaying with the direction of the heavy breeze.

Slowly, she slipped her shoes off, walking towards the railing barefoot. She jumped across it, landing on the other side of the floor.

One more step until she falls.

Wasting not even a single second, he bolted towards the maiden in a lightning pace, grabbing hold of her wrist in a vice-like grip.

The girl let out a startled gasp, her gaze instantly dropping towards him.

He grit his teeth. "What do you think you're doing?" He asked.

She look at him with dull eyes, her lips parting slightly open as words come out of her mouth in a whisper.

"I'm killing myself," she replied bluntly.

"Why?"

"So I can make the world a better place."

The boy looked at her as if she was crazy. How can a person say that with such ease?

Karma took a deep breath. "No, you're not. Now get back in here!" He yelled, his eyes filled with raging concern. He didn't know what to do during times like these, but Karma would definitely go out of their way to save a suicidal person, believe it or not.

She kept her firm gaze on the redhead, showing not even a look of sadness in her face. It was only a blank slate. A clean sheet of paper.

"I just want to end things all at once," you replied, surprising Karma a little. "It's too much for a person like me to handle."

Karma gripped her wrist even tighter, her hand going numb as the circulation on her arm slowly cut off.

Karma let out a sarcastic laugh. "And you call yourself a teacher. Pathetic," he shot back.

She flinched at his statement, feeling an arrow to the heart. She looks away, hurt evident in her eyes. "Just leave me be. Go away,"

"How the fuck would your students feel if they suddenly find out that their teacher took her own life? Would you call yourself a proper example for them?"

"That's none of your—"

"Shut the fuck up, I'm not finished!" Karma barked, glaring at you intensely.

"Do you know how much impact that would cause to your students? To have their second parent die because they can't fucking seem to get their shit together before going to school?"

"You don't know anything about me! I don't even know who the hell you are," she retorted, getting equally angry as the stranger preventing her to jump off.

"I don't, but I know how valuable someone's life is. You don't just jump of a fucking building when you feel like it," Karma shook his head. "It's much more than that." 

He looked at the sad lady again with a warm smile. "Please, I can help you."

"Please."

(Y/N) took a long time to respond. The two stared at each other for what seemed like a lifetime.

Finally, she took a deep breath, and cracked the smallest smile she can do.

"Okay."

***

I guess the world is a better place after all—with him, anyway.