√ || ame • fairy tales

« ame x lonely reader »

HE WAS OLD and I was young; yet we are of the same age. He has found his place and I haven't. We were from two different worlds, yet we keep on crossing paths.

Ame - the boy who defied the lies of fairy tales, the boy who could turn into a wolf, the boy who chose to continue the path his Sensei had made.

The boy who stole my heart.

He had cast a spell on me, one that I easily fell for without even knowing. He had captivated me using his irresistible face. That long dark navy blue hair that covered most of his face, along with those fierce hazel brown eyes. To him, I was the only one who had seen what lies beyond those glowing pair of orbs.

It was a stormy night, the sound of heavy rain filling the empty space of my apartment along with the faint broadcasting of the weather report. I was sitting on my bed, my back slouching against the wall.

"... as expected, Tokyo will experience heavy rain in all cities. Please use caution when going out..."

"Huh," I looked at the window glumly. Tiny droplets of rain traveled down the glass. The cold atmosphere sent a chill down my spine, I look around and see nothing but darkness.

I felt even more alone than I already am.

I sigh, drawing a little wolf pup's face on the condensed glass absentmindedly. The lack of motivation makes me want to stay in bed until morning. Maybe the morning after that, too.

I wish he was here.

I buried my face against my pillow, my cheek starting to numb caused by the chilly temperature. I stared at the vintage radio placed on top of my nightstand. The news broadcasting was over. Instead, a song was playing, but it was nearly inaudible because of the rain. I cranked up the volume, slowly hearing the song lyrics come alive.

"And I don't want the world to see me, cause I don't think that they'd understand,"

It was painfully beautiful to hear. I immediately thought of Ame - the song reminded me of him a lot, with wanting to be alone, yet wanting to be with me as well.

"When everything seems to be broken, I just want you to know who I am."

The void in my chest was becoming bigger and bigger. When Ame had told me he would come back, he took away that very piece away that sealed the hole. The very piece that completed me. The very piece that defined who I am.

He had left in the middle of September, saying that he has to fix a few things in the mountains. I could remember the exact same words that left his lips that unforgettable night:

"I will come back. Promise you will wait for me?"

I did promise. And I am waiting. I just don't know how long I can wake up every morning, facing the empty side of the bed where he once slept on. The memories with him felt like it had never happened - like a dream, or a scenario from my imagination. Unreal.

The watch on my wrist bleeped. I looked to see it was already 10 PM, yet, I couldn't feel sleep coming to me anytime sooner.

Time seemed to slow down, ever since he had left. The minutes felt like days, and the hours felt like months. I was slowly turning into a shell, a big hollow shell. The morning and the night looked and felt the same to me.

Dark and lonely.

I covered myself with the blankets Ame and I used. Warmth coursed through my body, earning a satisfied sigh from me.