He looks deep in thought. I am so scared to move, breathe, or even think. I decide to look down at my hands. This is so uncomfortable.

"It's Ryder."

I immediately look up at him. This is a tough pill to swallow. After weeks, I finally have a name to his face. This is the man who is going to kill me!

He starts to look around again and then back at me.
"Do you like to read books?" He points to one of the shelves.

"What? Oh! No. It's the only place in the house that people aren't coming and going." I put my head down embarrassingly. Like he cares about my comfort.

Ryder laughs and scratches his head. "Well, no one goes in and out of your room. Is there something wrong with it?"

He's right. However, the room feels more like a prison than any other part of the house. "I don't like that room. As you may recall, I was locked in it for almost a week."

"Oh. I see." Ryder nods and clears his throat. He smiles and sits forward. "Would you like better accommodations, Miss Hallowell?"

I note the sarcasm in his voice again. I am definitely going to play his game. Being tough with him gets me nowhere. Maybe if I try a softer approach, a damsel in distress approach, a different outcome will develop.

"It depends." I lean forward also. "Since this is my home until you kill me, why don't I get a house tour? Every room though! And you can bring your gun, just in case you feel threatened," I say as I smirk.

I think back to when I made him bleed.

"You're cute when you act brave, Miss Hallowell. Want me to get you another butter knife?" He squint at me, pursing his lips.

I try not to laugh. He squints again and smiles. I notice his perfect set of teeth.

"Act? And no thank you, Ryder. I sharpened my nails this morning."

His left eyebrow goes up.

I stand and he follows. "After you, my assassin."

He winks at me and walks out of the library. I follow.

Finally! The ball is in my court.

"And this is bedroom number seven. Not much to it. As you can see, all the rooms look exactly alike."

I cautiously step around Ryder and walk into the room. I look around and agree with him. All the bedrooms are identical. Down to the black bedding. Everything is black and white. The same black, marble flooring like the rest of the second floor.

I walk towards the window and look out. It's a beautiful, sunny day outside.

"And your room?" I ask as I put my hands in my back pocket. He doesn't say anything so I turn and look at him.

"It's off limits and no, I will not show you. It is also my office. Again, no."

I walk towards the bed. "But you agreed to a tour of the entire house. What's wrong with peeking? And no one can get in. I've seen the handprint thingy."

He gives me a puzzled looked. "Oh? You've definitely tried getting into my room, haven't you? And it's a palm scanner. It keeps nosy mice out." He steps into the room and crosses his arms over his chest.

I swallow hard as I see his massive arm muscles. I have to change the subject. Thinking sexually of someone who wants to kill me is not a good idea.

"I am curious by nature and I'm trying to escape. Remember?"

Ryder smiles while shaking his head no. It's then that I notice how attractive he is, and that he isn't always in the same suit.