three

after my little episode, michael took me back to my room and sat in the chair next to my bed, deciding to stay with me overnight. 

when my nurse came in in the morning and saw michael sitting in the chair next to my bed, a small smile appeared on her face.

"finally got someone to break down those walls of yours lucas." my nurse chuckled, setting down a glass of water and my medication.

"have you decided whether or not you're going to start with chemotherapy?" my nurse said quietly as i swallowed my medication.

i swallowed and looked over at michael, he was snoring quietly and his tank was leaning against the chair.

"yeah." i nodded, looking back to my nurse.

"you're a good kid hemmings." my nurse smiled, patting my shoulder and leaving my room.

a small smile spread across my face.

i looked back to michael and called his name a few times with no luck.

i grabbed my glass of water and poured the water onto him.

"WHAT? WHATS GOING ON? MOM ITS TO EARLY" michael shrieked, looking around frantically.

"mikey, im not your mom." i chuckled, shaking my head slowly.

"why am i wet?" michael said tiredly.

"because i dumped my water on you stupid." i shrugged, setting the glass down.

"asshole." michael smirked, rolling his eyes and sitting up.

"im boreddd." i sighed, crossing my arms and attempting to pout.

"your such a kid." michael laughed, standing up from the chair.

"where are you going?" i whined, throwing my head back.

"dont you mean where are we going?" michael smirked, pulling me up from my bed.

he dragged me out of the room and into the cafeteria.

"what are we doing here mikey?" i sigh, crossing my arms.

"meeting up with a few friends." michael shrugs, taking a seat at a table.

"i dont wanna meet your friends." i pout, turning to leave.

when i turn, i bump into a curly haired boy and fall to the ground.

"oh god- im so-" the boy begins but stops when we lock eyes.

i stare at him for a few more seconds until michael snaps me out of it.

"speak of the devil." michael chuckles, guesturing towards the boy and the three kids behind him.

"sorry." the curly haired boy mumbles, offering me his hand to stand up.

i take it and he pulls me up easily.

i wipe off my sweatpants and nod, slipping into a seat next to michael.

the curly haired boy sits in the seat at the end of the table and looks down at the ground.

a raven haired boy sits across from michael and a brown haired girl with blonde tips sits across from me along with a brown haired boy who sits next to her.

 "that's ashton- calum- zoe and alfie." michael says, pointing to the kids at the table.

"this is luke." michael says to them, pointing over at me.

i manage a small wave and look over to see ashton staring at me, i quickly look away and my cheeks heat up.

"alfie over there-" michael says, pointing over to the brown haired boy- "he has nasopharyngeal cancer. his chemotherapy caused him to go deaf in both ears. so he can't hear you. his parents didn't know that was one of the possible side effects of chemo." michael says slowly, making sure to look at alfie when he speaks.

alfie nods and looks down at the table, causing zoe to give him a sad look and rest her hand on his back.

"zoe- has leukemia, like you. she was diagnosed when she was nine." michael says softly, looking down at his hands.

"and then cal- he has skin cancer- its one of the most commonly curable cancers- if treated early- but his wasn't and now- the tumors have spread- or something like that- he doesnt like to talk about it." michael says quietly to me.

"what about the curly haired kid." i say casually, looking over at him.

"oh- that's ashton. he hasn't told anyone why he's here. he's kind of just that kid that built up his walls so high you'd lose oxygen if you tried to climb them." michael chuckles quietly.

"oh" i say awkwardly, looking down at the table.

"hey- lets just eat and pretend were normal kids, how's that sound?" michael says cheerfully.

"were not normal kids, but we can eat, that sounds nice." i shrug, earning a small laugh from ashton at the end of the table.

he quickly covered his mouth and coughed awkwardly when he caught everyone looking at him.

what's this wall made out of exactly? dirt?

☣☣☣

this is a sorta sad chapter thing- zoe and alfie are played by the amazing zoe sugg (zoella) and alfie deyes (pointlessblog)- also i did a lot of research for this stuff, and i did in fact find out chemotherapy may have side effects such as going def- im gonna leave information about the types of cancer michaels friends have down below this caption! hope you enjoyed this chapter, thanks if you're reading this!

☣☣☣

Definition of leukemia (n) leu·ke·mi·a[ loo kéemee ə ] blood cancer: an often fatal cancer in which white blood cells displace normal blood, leading to infection, shortage of red blood cells anemia, bleeding, and other disorders.     

Definition of nasopharyngeal cancer (n) NAY-zoh-fuh-RIN-jee-ul KAN-ser Cancer that forms in tissues of the nasopharynx     (upper part of the throat behind the nose).    Most nasopharyngeal cancers are squamous    cell carcinomas (cancer that begins in flat cells    lining the nasopharynx).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Definition of skin cancer (n) skin KAN-ser Cancer that forms in the tissues of the skin. There are several types of skin cancer. Skin cancer that forms in melanocytes (skin cells that make pigment) is called melanoma. Skin cancer that forms in the lower part of the epidermis (the outer layer of the skin) is called basal cell carcinoma. Skin cancer that forms in squamous cells (flat cells that form the surface of the skin) is called squamous cell carcinoma. Skin cancer that forms in neuroendocrine  cells (cells that release hormones in response to signals from the nervous system) is called neuroendocrine carcinoma of the skin. Most skin cancers form in older people on parts of the body exposed to the sun or in people who have weakened immune systems.