one

hi, im luke hemmings, and here's my story- sorry it's so short.

when i found out i had leukemia, i was ten.

that's when my life began to spiral out of control.

my medical bills were through the roof, and my parents stopped paying them.

i remember one night standing behind there bedroom door, listening to them talk about how they'd be in debt if i didnt die.

so here i am- room 216, slowly and painfully dying because the disease i have likes to watch me suffer.

i have my good days and i have my bad days, just like the other patients. today was a bad one.

i was sent down to the tv room to relax, even though i argued with the nurse, regarding the fact there is a large television in my room.

i sat down on a chair and placed my head in my hands, humming softly to myself.

"is that therapy? by all time low?" a voice beams from behind me.

i open my eyes slowly and turn to see a green haired boy.

"um- yeah." i mutter, looking down at the ground.

even though i tried to cut the conversation short with a half-ass answer, the boy sat down next to me and started asking questions, great, he's that guy.

"what are you in here for?" leukemia.

"what's your name? im michael." luke.

"why do you look so depressed?" i dont know, maybe cause i'm dying.

and big round of applause for the last one.

"look- you look like a cool guy, but i'm not interested in being friends." i shrug, standing up to leave.

"wait- look i get it, you're dying and you want to be alone- but it hurts so much more that way. i just wanna be that friend that's standing next to you during your final moments. i want just one person here to be able to call a friend- and i know i'm just a boy with awkward hair and lung cancer, but im tired of being alone." michael breathes out heavily, taking calm breathes and holding onto his chest.

"uh- are you okay?" i say calmly, turning back around and taking a seat next to the boy.

"my nurse told me not to get myself to overwhelmed but here i am, doing the polar opposite." michael sighs, leaning back on the couch.

"do you want me to get your nurse?" i say nervously, looking around the nearly empty room.

"no- can you just help me back to my room." michael says quietly, standing up and pulling his oxygen tank up next to him.

"yeah- yes of course." i stutter, slipping my arm under his and helping him walk to his room.

when we get to his room, i see the walls lined with colorful hand drawn pictures and cards and the ceiling filled with half deflated balloons.

"sorry it's a mess." he says softly, sitting down on his bed and turning on the tv and xbox.

"its okay. my rooms worse. anyways, if you're alright, im gonna go." i say slowly, starting to walk for the door.

"you can stay and play xbox if you want- i have no one else to play with." michael shrugs, pulling a bag of chips out from under his bed and stuffing a handful into his mouth.

i shrugged and hopped onto the bed next to michael, grabbing his other remote.

after hours of playing fifa and call of duty, i called it a night, waved goodbye to my new friend and planted a huge smile on my face. 

smile. something i havent done for six years.

☣☣☣

first chapter, hope you enjoy- no- this is not an idea from the fault in our stars- i have not seen the movie- nor read the book. please let me know what you think- and this was my idea- red band society will be a tv show coming out in fall- but i know nothing about it, i just liked the title. i had to do a lot of research for this, and i'm also starting volunteer work at my nearby hospital, so hopefully i can learn a little more. i will hopefully get to update three-four times a week. xo, dani