Telepathic Twins -- Chapter 14

Start from the beginning

'I'm not a player. If a girl throws herself in my lap, I'm not gonna say no.'

'That totally doesn't make you sound like a cocky douche bag,' I thought sarcastically.

He rolled his eyes. 'I'm not cocky, I'm honest.'

I laughed at that. 'Well, I'm going to bed,' I said, standing up.

'Okay.'

I went to my room and took off my sweaty clothes before bringing them downstairs. There was a small room across from the basement that had a laundry machine and dryer. Since the basement was to my right, I almost didn't hear the light shuffling coming from that direction.

Curious, I went to the basement to check it out. It looked a bit creepy with the light off, so I switched it on and looked around. Nothing seemed odd or out of place, so I turned around to leave, thinking I had just imagined it. Just as I was about to shut the light and walk over the threshold out of the basement, I heard a very light scratching sound, and this time I could tell it was coming from outside.

As I walked to the door and put my hand on the doorknob, I felt like one of those really stupid girls in horror movies. If this was a movie, everyone watching would be thinking something along the lines of 'don't go in there!' or 'don't open that door!' But, me being my curious self, I opened it. And definitely did not expect to see that.

'Aleks, come down to the basement,' I said to him.

He was only half asleep, and he woke himself up immediately. 'Why? What's wrong?'

'I definitely think you should come down here and check it out for yourself.'

'Alright,' he thought to me, sounding confused. 'I'll be right there.'

Lying on the floor, barely a foot away, was a sandy colored dog. It was really big, and I'd be tempted to call it a wolf, but there wasn't any forest nearby other than that park that Aleks and I went to, and that was pretty small. The dog was lying on the ground, seemingly unconscious, and breathing slowly.

I got a bit closer to it and crouched closer to the ground slowly. With effort, it lifted its lids a bit. Its eyes were brown with hazel flecks in them. Something tickled at the edge of my consciousness . . .

"What happe- Oh, shit," Aleks said, interrupting my train of thought. He stared for a second, wide eyed and confused, and then asked me, "Where the hell did that come from?"

"I dunno. I just heard something and came out to see what it was."

"Is it hurt?"

I shrugged. "I don't see any blood. He does look kinda sick though," I said, referring to his drooping eyelids and irregular breathing. Not to mention the fact that he wasn't moving at all. "Should we call Animal Control or something?"

"Yeah, there's an Animal Control center not too far from here, actually. I'll be right back; lemme know if anything happens."

"'K," I replied as he jogged back inside.

Though showing comfort wasn't one of my strong points, I couldn't just sit there and watch him, so I started running my fingers through his fur while I waited for Aleks. As I pet the side of his stomach, I felt something kinda hard. I looked closely and moved his fur out of the way a bit.

There was a small dart buried in his skin. Perplexed, I pulled it out quickly, like ripping off a band-aid, and got a good look at it. The dog didn't even flinch when I pulled it; he was so out of it. It was really small, only about as long as 2/3 of my index finger, looked like a tiny needle, and had a black cap on the end.