The Sea of Monsters; Two Bulls for the Price of One

Y/n's POV

Things at Camp Half Blood had not been too great this school year. Monster attacks were happening frequently, which usually wasn't a problem because the border kept them out. But the border was failing because someone had poisoned Thalia's tree. Now, we had to establish a 24 hour border patrol to make sure nothing could get into camp.

I was currently at the archery range increasing my skill with my bow. I had gotten a lot better over the past year, and now, I was almost as good with a bow as I was with my sword. I was just about to fire an arrow when the conch horn sounded. I frowned, trying to recall if there was something going on today, but I couldn't think of anything. That's when Clarisse ran past me with a few Ares campers, and all of them were decked out in armor.

"Clarisse!" I shout. "What's going on?"

"Attack on the border," she replied. "Come on!"

I picked up a stray helmet lying about and shoved it on my head, but there was no armor anywhere, so I'd have to be careful. I followed Clarisse all the way to Half Blood Hill where I saw the problem at hand. Two bulls were running rampant, smashing everything in their path. A few kids were trying to fight them off, but they were having no luck, and for good reason.

"Stop!" I call out to the Clarisse and her siblings as they charged. "They're Colchis Bulls! You can't-" I cut myself off when I saw that none of them were listening. Knowing that I had to do something. I slung my bow off my back effortlessly and nocked an arrow, letting it fly at the nearest bull. But the arrow bounced harmlessly off the bull's hide. Again, I fired off a shot, but the arrow wasn't strong enough to pierce the metal.

"Y/n!" Percy shouted from the other side of the hill and waved his arms to get my attention. Never in my life have I been happier to see Percy, even if his clothes were peppered with holes and he was covered in soot. My guess was that there was a monster attack either at his school or house. And Annabeth was with him too! Great. We needed more fighters. "Look out!"

"What?" I yell back, confused as to what he was talking about.

And then it hit me. Literally. The second bull had at some point come up behind me, and it swung its head, hitting me in the back with one of its horns. My bow flew my hand as I was launched into the air, and my back hit the grass with a thud. I groaned sat up, struggling to regain my senses. Thankfully, the bull had just charged me and then ran off, so I could get up safely. I scrambled to grab my bow, but when I reached into my quiver, I discovered I only had one arrow left. I had to make this one count. I took a deep breath and aimed the arrow at a bull across the hill, letting it fly seconds later. My aim was true, and the arrow pierced the ruby eye of the bull, shattering it into pieces. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to harm the bull much, and it turned towards me, steam billowing from it's nostrils.

"Run!" Percy screamed at me. Percy didn't have to tell me twice. I took off running as the bull charged full speed at me. I managed to jump and summersault to the side, evading getting whacked again, but the bull stopped in its tracks and turned back around. It stomped its hooves on the grass, fire exploding from its mouth, and just as it charged at me again, a boy I had never seen before jumped in front of me. He grabbed the bull by horns and pushed it away, but the bull just blew fire from its mouth, encasing the boy in a column of flames. I thought the boy would for sure be dead, but surprisingly, he came out of the fire unharmed. With a few punches to the snout, the bull's face was caved in, and its mechanics stopped working.

"Thank you," I breathe out and hunch over, my hands resting on my knees. "You saved my life."

"It was no problem," the boy returned. "A friend of Percy's is a friend of mine. I'm Tyson."