The Automaton

Y/n's POV

"This way!" Rachel yelled and gestured towards a tunnel.

"Why should we follow you?" Annabeth asked. "You led us straight into that death trap!" 

"It was the way you needed to go," Rachel insisted. "And so is this. Come on!" 

Annabeth hesitated, but followed Rachel down the tunnel, who seemed to know exactly where she was going. Around the next corner, Rachel ordered we all duck, and we all crouched as a huge axe swung over our heads. Then we kept going as if nothing had happened. We continued making turns and running through tunnels until we came to a rest in a large room with old marble columns holding up the roof. Along the way, we'd lost Mrs. O'Leary, but I had no doubt she could get back to camp safely. We'd also lost Luke and his army of monsters too, so that was good news.

"You people are crazy," Ethan commented and pulled off his helmet to reveal his face which gleamed with sweat. It was at that moment something clicked.

"Wait a minute," I interrupt. "Ethan, I remember you. You were one of the undetermined kids in the Hermes cabin years ago. We trained together."

"How do you think I knew that your right side was your weakness?" Ethan posed. "As soon as Antaeus mentioned me fighting a child of Poseidon, well, I could only remember the one I'd met years ago. And I remember you too, Annabeth."

"W-what happened to your eye?" Annabeth stammered. 

"I don't want to talk about it," Ethan responded.

"You must be the half-blood from my dream," Percy realized. "The one Luke's people cornered. It wasn't Nico after all." 

"Who's Nico?" Ethan quizzed.

"Never mind," Annabeth said. "Why were you trying to join up with the wrong side?" 

Ethan sneered. "There's no right side. The gods never cared about us. Why shouldn't I-" 

"Sign up with an army that makes you fight to the death for entertainment?" I finish for him. "You know, that's a hard question to answer." 

"I'm not going to argue with you. Thanks for the help, but I'm out of here," Ethan muttered.

"We're going after Daedalus. Come with us," Percy offered. "Once we get through, you'd be welcome back at camp." 

"You really are crazy if you think Daedalus will help you," Ethan spoke. 

"He has to. We'll make him listen," Annabeth declared. 

Ethan snorted. "Yeah, well. Good luck with that." 

"You're just going to head off alone into the maze? Ethan....that's suicide," I note.

"You shouldn't have spared me, Y/n. Mercy has no place in this war," Ethan stated and ran back into the darkness. 

The four of us were so tired that we decided to make camp in the huge room. Percy found some scrap wood, and we were able to start a fire. We all sat around it to warm up, taking turns putting our hands over the flames. Well, I was trying to, but Percy was busy fussing over my eye.

"Just take some ambrosia, please," Percy begged as he tried to examine my eye.

"Percy, I'm fine," I assure him. "Really. And I kind of like the black eye. It makes me look more intimidating."

"It's hurting you," Percy corrected and touched the edge of the bruise, causing me to wince. "See?"

"I will take a sip of nectar, but that's it," I bargain and grab the bottle from my bag.