The Lightning Thief; Capture the Flag

Y/n's POV

Most demigod stories are the same. A satyr finds a demigod at the age of 12 and brings them back to Camp Half Blood, where they train all summer to be the best demigod they possibly can. And then, in most cases, the camper can stay at their real home the rest of the year. Once you learn a few monster fighting techniques, you should be able to fend for yourself. Key word being should.

My story, on the other hand, is quite different. I came to Camp Half Blood when I was just 6 years old. I ran away from a home with a verbally abusive mother who claimed that I was the reason my father left us. At some point, I met up with some other demigods: Luke Castellan, Thalia Grace, and Annabeth Chase. Somewhere during our journey, we came into contact with a satyr named Grover Underwood, who claimed he had been looking for a powerful demigod, who turned out to be Thalia. The five of us made it to camp, and eventually, I was claimed by Poseidon, the big guy with the trident. Ever since, I had made Camp Half Blood my home. I had been here for 5 years, and this summer, I was going to be turning 12. For the most part, things were normal. Until the new kid Percy Jackson showed up.

I was walking back from the training arena, my helmet nestled in between my arm and my hip. My chest plate seemed to feel heavier as I took each step, but I decided against ditching it since my cabin was just up ahead. As I was walking across the lawn to get to said cabin, I saw two figures up ahead, one of which I recognized instantly.

"Annabeth!" I call out and jog to catch up to her. "Hey! Is this the new camper I've been hearing about?"

Annabeth nodded. "The one and only."

"Wow. So you took down a minotaur and everything? That's so cool!" I chirp. "So, did you get lucky and get claimed? Or are you one of the many unclaimed kids staying in the Hermes cabin?"

"Y/n! Don't be rude! Introduce yourself before you start poking around other people's business. Percy, this is Y/n L/n. Y/n, this is Percy Jackson," Annabeth introduced.

"It's nice to meet you, Percy," I return. "Now, back to my previous question. Claimed or no?"

"Uh, no. I've got a sleeping bag in the Hermes cabin with my name on it," Percy joked. "What about you? Who's your godly parent? Mom or dad?"

"Dad," I reply. "I'm uh, I'm a daughter of Poseidon."

"So you have that whole cabin at the front all to yourself? Must be nice," Percy murmured.

"That's what everyone thinks, but it's quite the opposite. I have a lot of alone time," I confess. "And I wouldn't worry about staying in the Hermes cabin forever. Everyone gets claimed. Eventually."

"Is that the newbie?" a husky voice shouted from across the lawn.

"Schist," I curse. "Clarisse is heading this way. I've gotta go. It was nice meeting you, Percy. I'll see you at Capture the Flag on Friday!"

And with that, I darted off towards the Poseidon cabin, where I would spend the hours leading up to dinner alone.

Friday came around quicker than I thought possible, but I liked that, because on Fridays, we played Capture the Flag. Its pretty self explanatory. We have two teams that take base on opposite sides of the woods, and they try to get the other team's flag back to their base. What most people loved about it was that there were practically no rules. All weapons, abilities, and skills were allowed. It was the camp's favorite activity, which is why everyone was buzzing with excitement at dinner. I sat at a table alone, like I had for practically all of my time here at Camp Half Blood. The tables in the dining pavilion were arranged by your godly parent, and since I had no siblings, I got to sit by myself. When it came time to make our offerings, I scraped off a piece of my brisket into the fire and silently prayed.