Pooper Scoopers

Y/n's POV

"Hi, guys," Percy greeted the horses. "We're here to clean your stables. Won't that be great?" 

"Yes!" the nearest horse cheered. "Come inside! Eat you! Tasty half-blood!" 

"But we're Poseidon's kids," I protest. "He created horses." 

"Yes!" the horse agreed. "Poseidon can come in, too! We will eat you both! Seafood! Seafood!"

"So how are we supposed to do this? Got any ideas?" Percy quizzed.

"Well, Hercules did this once. He channeled a river into the stables and cleaned them out that way. We can control the water, but we can't get too close to the horses without them eating us. And the river is downhill over there, so that's a whole other problem," I ramble off.

"Lets just head down to the river," Percy suggested. At the bottom of the hill, there was a girl waiting for us. She had on jeans and a green t-shirt, and her long brown hair was braided with river grass. Almost instantly I knew she was a naiad. Her arms were crossed over her chest, and she glared at us as we approached her.

"Oh no you don't," the naiad seethed. "I know who you are. And I know what you want. The answer is no! I'm not going to have my river used again to clean that filthy stable. And save it, sea spawn. You ocean-god types always think you're soooo much more important than some little river, don't you? Well let me tell you, this naiad is not going to be pushed around just because your daddy is Poseidon. This is freshwater territory. The last guy who asked me this favor, he was way better-looking than you, sea boy. He convinced me, and that was the worst mistake I've ever made! Do you have any idea what all that horse manure does to my ecosystem? Do I look like a sewage-treatment plant to you? My fish will die. I'll never get the muck out of my plants. I'll be sick for years. No thank you!"

"Did she just insult my looks?" Percy questioned.

"She most definitely did. But don't worry. According to some of the kids at camp, you're one of the most attractive campers. Gods, I hated those conversations. Anyways, our friends are in danger," I tell the naiad.

"Well, that's too bad! That's not my problem. And you're not going to ruin my river," the naiad snapped. 

"Whatever," Percy breathed out. "It's your river. But my friends, sister and I are going to get sold to the Titans if we don't clean those stables by sunset. And we don't know how." 

The naiad sighed. "I'll tell you a secret. Scoop up some dirt." Percy did as she asked and scooped up a handful of dirt. There were tiny clumps of white hidden amongst the dry dirt. "Those are shells. Petrified seashells. Millions of years ago, even before the time of the gods, when only Gaea and Ouranos reigned, this land was under water. It was part of the sea." 

"Okayyyy," Percy drew out. "What good does that do us?" 

"You're not so different from me, demigods. Even when I'm out of the water, the water is within me. It is my life source," the naiad declared before disappearing into the river. 

"She wasn't much help," Percy noted as we trudged back to the stables. When we got there, he threw the handful of dirt into the horse poop. For a second, nothing happened, but suddenly, water exploded out of the tiny shells in the dirt. "Whoa. Geyser, could you maybe get bigger?"

"How did the water just follow your orders like that?" I inquire as the geyser did indeed get bigger.

Percy shrugged. "I'm not sure. Throw more dirt into the pen."

So, Percy and I ran around the stable throwing dirt into the pen. Where each shell landed, a saltwater spring erupted and melted the poop like ice. Percy was amazing, controlling the water and all. Within no time, the poop was completely gone, but we had another problem. The sewage water was heading back towards the river.