A Trip to Manhattan

Y/n's POV

It had been two weeks since Annabeth and I had been back at camp. No one knew if Percy was really dead, but since it had been a while with no word from him, we had to assume the worst. It was late afternoon, and all of us campers were gathered in the amphitheater. A beautiful green silk burial cloth embroidered with a trident was sitting in the middle of the theater with a torch set up next to it.

"I know we have all hoped and prayed that Percy would come back to us. But after so long a silence, it is unlikely our prayers will be answered. I have asked his sister to do the final honors," Chiron announced and waved me up. "Y/n, dear, come forward. Let us put Percy to rest, shall we?"

"If we must," I murmur sadly and take the torch, using it to set the shroud on fire. "I know it might not seem like it, but all of the stories you've heard about Percy are 100% true. He's the bravest person I've ever met. The best brother I could've asked for. Sure, he was very overprotective at times, and Nate can attest to that, but he was just trying to look out for me. I'd give anything to be lectured by him during sword training one more time. Usually he'd be telling me how I leave my right side too vulnerable, which I always denied. But it was true. With him gone though, the great prophecy falls on me. And while I was hoping it wouldn't, I'm not going to try and find a way around it. I'm gonna complete it, and I'm gonna do it the right way. I'm going to save Olympus. For Percy. He......." I trailed off as I spotted Percy in the crowd, and my face went blood red. "He's right there!"

"Percy!" Beckendorf grinned.

"Percy! Where have you been?!" Annabeth shouted.

Percy shrugged. "I got lost."

"Lost?" I seethe. "It's been two weeks, Percy! We thought you were dead. I mourned for you."

"Yeah. I heard your speech. Best big brother ever, huh?" Percy teased.

"You little schist!" I curse and punch him in the shoulder. "Forget what I said. I hate you!"

"Y/n, maybe you should calm down a bit," Nate instructed and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"No offense, Nate, but don't tell me what to do," I snap and pull away from him. "You didn't just cry for your brother for two weeks straight only to find out he's been alive this whole time."

"Y/n, Nate was just trying to help," Percy interjected. "There was no need to snipe at him like that."

"I don't even want to hear anything from you, Percy," I growl. "I should punch you even harder for what you did. In the face. With bronze knuckles on."

"Y/n," Chiron interrupted. "Perhaps we should discuss this somewhere more private, shall we? The rest of you, back to your normal activities! Percy, Y/n, Annabeth, follow me."

"No," I decline and clench my fists at my side. "I just...I need to be alone. Chiron, do you mind if I stray from my schedule for the day and head down to the lake? I need some time to think."

"Of course," Chiron gave in. "Take as much time as you need, dear. I shall see you for dinner."

I don't know how long I was sitting at the beach for, but before I knew it, the sun was beginning to set. Dinner was long over, and while I knew the harpies would be out patrolling the grounds in a matter of hours, I couldn't bring myself to move. Just as the sun was dipping below the horizon, someone took a seat next to me in the sand. I didn't have to glance over to know that it was Percy.

"Did Chiron talk to you about what's been going on?" I question, still without looking over.

"About Chris and Quintus? Yeah," Percy responded.