The God of Two Faces

Y/n's POV

I thought the morning we left for the quest would be somewhat normal. Well, aside from the fact that we would be venturing into the Labyrinth. But I was wrong. I woke up to see that the fountain we had in our room was sliced in half, and water was covering the floor. When I asked Percy what had happened, he ignored me, which was a sign that he was the culprit. But I waved it off because I knew I could ask Beckendorf to fix it while I was gone. I packed my backpack with all of the necessities, and then I headed down to meet the rest of the group at Zeus' Fist. Juniper was off to the side messing with Grover's outfit, and Chiron, Quintus, and Mrs. O'Leary stood with the other campers who'd come to send us off. Among them was Beckendorf, just the person I wanted to see.

"Hey, Beckendorf," I greet and hug the older camper. "I uh, I know you're busy helping your siblings set up trenches and stuff, but I need a favor."

"You know I'd do anything for you, Y/n. What's up?" Beckendorf asked.

"The fountain in our cabin somehow split in half sometime last night. It's my favorite thing in the cabin, so could you maybe fix it while I'm gone?" I request.

"Of course," Beckendorf accepted. "It'll be good as new by the time you get back."

"Great. Thank you," I say.

"Y/n!" Nate called out and jogged over to meet me. "There you are. I was worried you'd left already."

"Without saying goodbye? Never," I joke and pull him in for a hug. "I'm gonna miss you."

"I'm gonna miss you too," Nate returned and squeezed me tightly. "But when you get back, we'll do all sorts of stuff together. We can have a day at the beach. Maybe have a friendly competition at the climbing hall. Take a ride on Skipper. Whatever you want."

"Sounds nice," I murmur and peck Nate's lips. "I'll see you when I get back."

"All right, you five. Take care," Chiron told us. "And good hunting."

"Well," Grover mumbled nervously. "Goodbye, sunshine."

And, together, the four of us descended into darkness.

We made it maybe 100ft before we got lost. We tried the trick where you keep your left hand on the wall so that you can find your way back, but when we came upon a huge circular chamber with eight tunnels leading out of it, we couldn't even figure out the way we came. We then headed down a tunnel that narrowed pretty quickly. The ceiling got so low that we had to hunch over, and Tyson had to crawl. The tunnel opened up to a room covered in mosaic tiles with pictures that were covered in grime, all depicting the Greek gods. There was also a fountain that looked like it hadn't worked in hundreds of years. We walked through it towards an older looking tunnel and followed it for quite a bit before it spit us back into the tile room. But this time, we weren't alone.

There was a man standing in the center of it, and the weird thing was, he had two faces. They both jutted out from either side of his head, making it way wider than it should have been. He was dressed in a long black overcoat, shiny shoes, and a black top hat that somehow managed to fit on his head.

"Well, Annabeth? Hurry up!" the left face demanded.

"Don't mind him. He's terribly rude," the right face claimed.

Tyson frowned. "That funny man has two faces."

"And he's blocking the exits. Look," I direct and point to what was behind him. There were two exits being blocked by the man, each with wooden doors and huge iron locks. They hadn't been there before. Then again, neither had this man, who was passing a silver key between his hands. The doorway behind us had also disappeared, so we were trapped here.