Words of Wisdom

Y/n's POV

Annabeth, Percy, and I were on our way out when we spotted Hermes in a side courtyard of the palace. He was staring at an Iris-message in the mist of a fountain. Percy stopped walking, causing Annabeth and I to pause as well.

"I'll meet you guys at the elevator," Percy spoke. "I need to talk to Hermes about something."

"Okay. We'll meet you there," Annabeth said as the two of us continued walking. Further down though, we were stopped again.

"Y/n!" Poseidon called out and jogged to catch up with us. "If you'd still like to have that chat, I have a few minutes to spare."

"Go," Annabeth urged. "I'll be waiting by the elevator."

Poseidon and I found a small pound that had somehow been untouched by Kronos' wrath. We took a seat on the small dock, the bottom of our feet skimming the surface of the liquid. Beneath the water, I could see a few fish swimming around, acting like nothing had happened. But I suppose for them nothing had.

"So," Poseidon started. "What is it you'd like to talk about?"

"There has been a lot on my mind recently," I disclose and swing my feet back and forth. "With everything that has been going on the past few years, all I've been focused on is defeating Kronos. But now that that's over, Hephaestus and Aphrodite are telling me about my destiny with someone I barely know. While that seems great and all, I can't help but feel like my life is gonna be a series of quests, each more deadlier than the last. I know you can't tell me much, but will I ever catch a break? I feel like I just need some time to find myself, you know? Take things easy."

"As a child of the Big Three, your life was always destined to be harder than others," Poseidon declared. "You've been through so much at such a young age that sometimes I feel guilty. After all, I am the one who put you in this position. And you are right. I cannot say much. The Fates...they're very particular about what demigods can know. But what I can tell you is that your journey is far from over. Do not fear though. Not all of it will be bad. Like Aphrodite said, someone will be coming into your life that she's been waiting centuries for you to meet. I can say that I too are excited for this portion of your life. I just want you to be happy. That's all I've ever wanted for you."

"Thanks, dad," I murmur and lean my head on his shoulder. "I know I'm not as important as Percy but-"

Poseidon cut me off. "Y/n, I think its time you realize that you are not a side character in Percy's story. You have played a significant part in taking on Kronos these past few years. While it may not seem like it to you, you have impacted the future more than you know. Yes, your destiny is intertwined with Percy's, but you two are very much different people. There will be a time coming very soon where you must forge your own path. Your own story. Don't let people think you are only a hero because of your brothers quests and feats. You are a hero in your own way. A different way. Understand?"

"Yeah. I understand," I confirm and stand up. "I should get going. Annabeth and Percy are probably waiting for me. Thanks for the talk, dad. It has put a lot into perspective. I hope I can see you soon."

"Me too," Poseidon agreed. "Now go. Your friends are waiting." Annabeth and Percy were waiting for me at the elevator, and while I wanted to question why the front of Percy's shirt was charred, I didn't. I had a feeling he had an encounter with one of the other gods.

"What were you talking to dad about?" Percy quizzed.

"You know, the usual. Destinies and the future," I answer as the three of us road the elevator down to the lobby. When the doors sprung open, we found Sally and Paul arguing with the doorman, who had since returned to his post.