Carbon Copy

Y/n's POV

"What is the meaning of this?" Quintus questioned. 

"Luke sends his compliments. He thought you might like to see your old employer, Minos," Kelli spoke.

"This was not part of our agreement," Daedalus pointed out. 

"No indeed. But we already have what we want from you, and we have other agreements to honor. Minos required something else from us, in order to turn over this fine young demigod," Kelli murmured and ran a finger under Nico's chin. "He'll be quite useful. And all Minos asked in return was your head, old man." 

"Nico!" I shout.

"Y/n," Percy started and grabbed a hold of my arm. "Wait."

"Nico, are you okay?" I ask.

"I'm sorry, Y/n," Nico apologized. "Minos told me you were in danger. He convinced me to go back into the maze." 

"Y-you were trying to help us?" I stutter. "I thought..."

"Things change. But I was tricked," Nico claimed. 

Percy glared at Kelli. "Where's Luke? Why isn't he here?" 

"Luke is busy. He is preparing for the assault. But don't worry," Kelli assured us. "We have more friends on the way. And in the meantime, I think I'll have a wonderful snack!" 

"Percy," Rachel whispered. "The wings. Do you think...?" 

"Get them," Percy urged. "I'll try to buy you some time." 

And with that, all Hades broke loose. Annabeth and Percy charged at Kelli, who turned over tables and smashed inventions so that they couldn't get close. The giants with after Quintus, but Mrs. O'Leary came to his defense and barred his fangs at them. Nobody paid attention to Rachel, who was desperately grasping at the wings hanging on the wall. While Minos was distracted watching the giants, I ran over to Nico, who was still bound by shackles.

"Let me help," I offer and summon my own sword.

"Don't take off my hands, please. Or any fingers," Nico pleaded and held out his hands. I swung the sword between his arms, and the chain snapped right in half, falling off his hands in seconds. From behind me, I could feel the room getting hotter, and when I turned around, I saw that a jar of Greek fire had fallen to the floor, and bright green flames were spreading quickly throughout the workshop.

"To me! Spirits of the dead!" Minos called out and raised his hands. 

"No!" Nico cried out and stood up. 

"You do not control me, young fool," Minos sneered as spirits began to shimmer to existence around him. "All this time, I have been controlling you! A soul for a soul, yes. But it is not your sister who will return from the dead. It is I, as soon as I slay the inventor!" 

"I am the son of Hades. Begone!" Nico ordered the spirits. 

Minos laughed. "You have no power over me. I am the lord of spirits! The ghost king!" 

"No, I am," Nico insisted and stabbed his black blade into the floor, cleaving through the stone like butter. The ground rumbled, and the workshop's windows cracked and shattered to pieces, littering the ground with broken glass. Then, a fissure opened up in the middle of the floor, and Minos and the spirits were sucked into the void. From the tunnel, I heard shouting, meaning more monsters were coming this way.

"We have to help Daedalus!" Percy exclaimed as we all regrouped. 

"There's no time," Rachel disagreed. "Too many are coming!"