The Battle of the Labyrinth; Changing Times

Y/n's POV

"There's my big boy," I chirp as I approached Peleus, who was curled up around Thalia's tree, the golden fleece shimmering in the sunlight. Peleus lifted his head up when he heard my voice, and when he saw me, he smiled. Well, dragons can't really smile. They just sort of open their mouth really wide, and if they don't eat you, then you're safe to assume they like you. I rubbed Peleus' nose, and steam hissed out from his nostrils as he purred against my hand. "I brought you a little something. It was a hassle sneaking it out of lunch, but well worth it. Your favorite. Barbeque."

I revealed the plate of brisket I had stolen from the dining pavilion, and Peleus' eyes lit up. I grabbed a huge chunk of it and tossed it towards Peleus' mouth, and he gobbled it right up. I laughed and fed him more, watching as he moved his head to catch the pieces I threw into the air. As soon as I had fed him the last piece, a voice rang out from behind me.

"Sneaking food to Peleus again?"

I smiled and turned around to face the voice I recognized as Annabeth's, but I tripped on a stick and fell backwards. When I hit the ground, the first thing I saw hovering over me was Peleus' face. The dragon leaned down towards me, and before I knew what was happening, he started licking my face.

"Ah! No! Peleus, stop!" I laugh and try to push the dragon away. At the sight of my barbeque covered hands, Peleus went for them instead, and within seconds, they were clean of the dark colored sauce. It was then that I scrambled to my feet so that Peleus couldn't get to me, and I raised my eyebrows at the dragon. "Really? Look at me now. I'm covered in your saliva."

"Sorry," Annabeth apologized and jogged over to me, Percy not to far behind him.

"Hey, Y/n," Percy greeted.

"Hey, Percy," I return and hug him awkwardly so that I didn't leave any drool left on him. "I thought you weren't supposed to be coming in until later."

"We ran into a problem," Annabeth declared and glanced towards the cabins uneasily. "I uh, I need to talk to Clarisse." 

Percy furrowed his eyebrows. "What for?" 

"We've been working on something," Annabeth disclosed. "I'll tell Chiron you're here. He'll want to talk to you before the hearing." 

"What hearing?" Percy asked. But she had jogged down the path towards the archery field without looking back. "Yeah. Great talking with you, too."

"Be patient with her, Percy," I instruct. "She had a rough summer."

"Yeah. That's all I managed to get out of her on the taxi ride over here," Percy mumbled as we walked towards camp. "Man, is it just me, or does something about this place seem different? Maybe because I haven't been here since winter break."

I winced. "A lot of things have changed since the winter solstice, Percy. For one, we do training activities quite often, and they're rough. I've been helping out at the infirmary because the Apollo kids have been swamped. It's not ideal, but we need to get kids ready in case there's a battle. Two, Mr. D is off on some urgent business. Camp has actually been pretty chill without him, but I do miss his insults from time to time. I know that's weird, but this place doesn't really feel like home without him. And then there's his replacement. He's nowhere near as bad as Tantalus. Quite the opposite, actually. I think he's pretty cool. His name is Quintus. He's our sword instructor. You should probably meet him before you speak to Chiron. And Mrs. O'Leary too. She's such a sweetheart. Grover's hearing with the Council of Cloven Elders is also tonight. I want to go, but cabin inspection is today and lets just say yesterday I destroyed the whole cabin looking for something and never ended up finding it. Oh, and there's actually something else I should tell you. This past spring I-"