Empty Thrones

Y/n's POV

Once out of the Underworld, Percy and I hailed a taxi and headed for the Empire State Building. Along the way, we left a message to Annabeth and told her our plan. Was the plan a little idiotic? For sure. But could it also work? I hoped it would. Mrs. O'Leary chased behind the taxi, following us to our destination, which we reached within minutes. It was late afternoon when the taxi dropped us off, and waiting in front of the building were three white vans that read 'Delphi Strawberry Service', and surrounding them were a bunch of campers. After a headcount, I discovered that along with Argus and Chiron, there were forty campers. And to my disappointment, none of them were from the Ares cabin.

"There you guys are," Annabeth breathed out and pulled Percy and I in for a hug. "We were worried. You guys never mentioned leaving, and then you just disappeared."

"Yeah. We uh, we had some things to take care of," I declare and glance at the campers. "Is this everyone?"

Annabeth nodded. "The ones who were willing to come, yeah."

"Thanks for coming, everybody. Chiron, after you," Percy requested.

"I came to wish you luck, my boy. But I make it a point never to visit Olympus unless I am summoned," Chiron claimed.

"But you're our leader," Percy pointed out.

"I am your trainer," Chiron corrected. "Your teacher. That is not the same as being your leader. I will go gather what allies I can. It may not be too late to convince my brother centaurs to help. Meanwhile, you called the campers here, Percy. You are the leader."

Percy took a deep breath. "Okay, like I told Annabeth on the phone, something bad is going to happen by tonight. Some kind of trap. We've got to get an audience with Zeus and convince him to defend the city. Remember, we can't take no for an answer. Let's go."

"School group," the man at the front desk assumed when we appeared in the lobby. "We're about to close up."

"No, actually," Percy declined. "Six-hundredth floor."

"There is no six-hundredth floor, kid," the man stated. "Move along."

"Forty demigods attract an awful lot of monsters," Percy noted. "You really want us hanging out in your lobby?"

The man sighed. "Fine. Make it quick. Elevator on the right. I guess you know the way."

Because there were so many of us, we had to take two trips up the elevator. And once everyone had arrived, I took in the beauty of Olympus. No matter how many times I had seen it, it was still the most gorgeous place on the plant. The mansions glittered gold and white against the sides of the mountain, and gardens bloomed on a each terrace. Scented smoke rose from braziers that lined the winding streets, making the air smell sweet. At the top of the snow-capped crest rose the main palace of the gods. Something seemed wrong though, and I guessed it was because there was no music, voices, or laughter.

"You look different," Annabeth told Percy. "Where exactly did you go?"

"I'll tell you later," Percy promised. "Come on."

We made our way across the sky bridge into the streets of Olympus where all of the shops were closed and the parks were empty. In the horizon, little streaks of light were shooting towards the mountain like little comets, but they all fizzed out before they got too close. I watched them for a minute, but I still couldn't figure out what they were.

"They're like infrared scopes," Michael Yew compared. "We're being targeted."

"Let's get to the palace," Percy urged.