Deadly Reinforcements

Y/n's POV

By the time we got to the street, it was too late. Campers and Hunters lay wounded on the ground everywhere. Clarisse must've lost a fight with a Hyperborean giant, because she and her chariot were frozen in a block of ice. The centaurs were nowhere to be seen, so either they'd panicked and ran, or they'd been disintegrated. The Titan army had formed a circle around the building, standing maybe thirty feet from the doors. Kronos's vanguard was in the lead – Ethan Nakamura, the dracaena queen in her green armor and two Hyperboreans. Kronos himself stood right in front with his scythe in hand. And the only thing standing in his way was Chiron. 

"Chiron!" Annabeth cried out. He had an arrow notched, aimed straight at Kronos' face. When Kronos saw us, his gold eyes flared, and every single muscle in my body froze. I tried to move, but I was frozen in place. With us taken care of, Kronos turned his attention back to Chiron.

"Step aside, little son," Kronos ordered. 

Chiron shook his head. "I'm afraid not." 

"Chiron, look out!" I warn as the dracaena queen charged. Chiron's arrow flew straight between her eyes and she vaporized on the spot, her empty armor clattering to the tarmac. Chiron then reached for another arrow, but his quiver was empty. I saw him hesitate, but he dropped the bow and drew his sword, which I knew he hated fighting with.

"You're a teacher," Kronos sneered. "Not a hero." 

"Luke was a hero. He was a good one, until you corrupted him," Chiron spoke. 

"Fool!" Kronos bellowed. "You filled his head with empty promises. You said the gods cared about me!" 

"Me," Chiron noticed. "You said me." Kronos looked confused, and in that moment, Chiron struck. It was a good maneuver, a feint followed by a strike to the face, and probably the best move Chiron could have made. But Kronos was quick, and he had all of Luke's fighting skills. He knocked aside Chiron's blade, leaving the centaur weaponless. 

"Back!" Kronos yelled. A blinding white light exploded between the Titan and the centaur, and Chiron flew into the side of the building with such force the wall crumbled and collapsed on top of him.

"No!" Annabeth wailed. At that moment, the freezing spell broke, and the five of us ran towards our teacher, but there was no sign of him. Thalia and Percy pulled helplessly at the bricks, all while a ripple of ugly laughter ran through the titan army. Annabeth turned on Luke. "You! To think that I – that I thought –" She drew her knife. 

"Annabeth, don't," Percy warned. 

My brother tried to take her arm, but she shook him off and lunged at Kronos. She plunged her knife between the straps of his armor, right at his collarbone. Normally, the blade would've sunk into his chest, but because Kronos had bathed in the River Styx, it bounced off. Annabeth doubled over and clutched her arm to her stomach. The jolt must have been enough to dislocate her bad shoulder. I stepped in front of her just as Kronos swung his scythe. My sword was in my hand in an instant, and with it I whacked at Kronos' weapon, sending it flying out of his hands. That made everyone go quiet.

Kronos scowled as he summoned his scythe back to him. "The daughter of Poseidon makes her return. Part of me had hoped that useless son of Ares had taken you out."

"Do not talk about Nate that way," I mutter. "If it wasn't for you he'd still be alive. And now I'm gonna avenge him by killing you."

"So much spirit. I can see why Luke wanted to spare you. All he ever used to talk about was how he saw you like a sister and didn't want me laying a hand on you. Unfortunately, that won't be possible," Kronos claimed and raised his scythe. Before he could strike though, a dog's howl pierced the air somewhere behind the titan army.