Six - Babysitter

• Dedicated kay Cha :]

A/N:

Bilog ang Mundo- a tagalog phrase that means "The world is round."

ah-tee - another way of pronouncing "ah-teh", or "ate" in Tagalog, refers to an older sister/relative/female acquaintance or friend

Click like if you know a caregiver personally. It doesn't matter if he/she is young or not. This is my personal tribute for them. I truly think they're awesome. I can't imagine doing what they do as a living.

-----

It didn't take long for Meira to reach home. The Angeles residence was located on the second floor apartment of a two-flat. The building was approximately sixty years old and made of red bricks. The front of the building was narrow and the sides of the building were long. Personally, Meira didn't like it. It made her feel congested. In contrast, she admired the spacious houses of the suburbs.

She hurriedly climbed the stairs leading to the front door. Pausing, she inspected the mailbox on the left side of the door. No mail. She then entered the two-flat where another flight of stairs were on her right. She climbed again.

The door of the second floor apartment greeted her. The festive theme song of a noontime show from Bilog ang Mundo a.k.a. BAM, one of two global Filipino TV networks, blared through the door.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

No one answered. I should get my own set of keys. Mom can't hear me over the music.

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!!!

"Mom, I'm home!"

Meira heard footsteps. Her mother had heard her.

Shortly, Mrs. Angeles opened the door. "Good, you're home now." She sounded content.

"Yup, I'm changing before I take Bobby to the basement." Meira explained as she walked to the bedroom.

Bobby was a kid Meira was babysitting. He lived with his parents in the basement apartment of their small building. Meira was getting paid on a weekly basis, unlike Missy who got paid daily—sometimes hourly if she was lucky. Meira babysat children while Missy took care older adults. Meira worked for a few hours a day whereas Missy worked twenty-four hour shifts whenever it was convenient. Meira also worked close to home while Missy had to take the CTA to various places in the Chicagoland area.

Meira had nothing to complain about. She wasn't a live-in caregiver to elderly strangers and she was thankful for that. She admired Missy for having the guts to do her job, even though she teased Meira a lot.

But why did Missy have to do that? Meira's boy-crazy, materialistic friend baffled her. She was so disappointed that Missy cut class today. But, she didn't dwell on it. Meira felt that she had no right to judge someone who was gutsy enough to be a young live-in caregiver. A reliever to be exact. Missy didn't really have a permanent client.

After changing, Meira studied herself in the mirror: Her hair was long and dark; her complexion was fair for a Filipina girl; her cheeks were chubby. Were they chubbier than ever? Meira had always been on the chubbier side even when she lived in Maceda, Leyte, Philippines. Even when her waistline was twenty-six inches, she always noted that her upper arms and thighs held more fat compared to her classmates. She looked at her figure. Annie said she had gained weight when she saw her pictures online. Meira didn’t see it. She was still decent-looking.

I should weigh myself to be sure… And measure my waist line again.

"Ah-tee Mei! Ah-tee Mei!" Bobby called. The voice came from the kitchen. It was followed by two other voices: Meira’s little brothers, Rex and Jimmy. Meira exited the bedroom and approached them.