Chapter 8

Chapter 8.

(you can listen to the youtube link to hear what I think would be the background music :)

Mr. Davidson's POV.

Sonofabitch, why did I let her get away... I felt my body heating up from the anger and frustration. I exhaled heavily. I growled under my breath, my eyes narrowing, and I hit the steering wheel with my palms, gritting my teeth. The growl and sudden aggression shocked me for a moment, but I settled myself and shook my head.

I ran my fingers through my hair. This wouldn't be hard. Her scent was still fresh in the car, leading out the door and into the woods. Thankfully the weeds were tall enough to capture a bit of her scent, something to help me find her. I could smell the pain in the scent trail... 

Goddamn, her hand...obviously broken... I didn't mean for her to overreact like that....

Isaac, you were fucking kidnapping her. She wasn't 'overreacting.' 

I cursed under my breath. I began to unbuckle my seat belt. Something in the backseat caught my eye.

Her purse. 

I reached back, grabbing it, and pulled it into my lap. I unzipped it, and began looking through there for anything that may be of value to me..

Chapstick...makeup......a small bottle of lotion...

...Wallet.

I opened the wallet, looking at her drivers license. 

Claire Ellen Pearce. Brown Eyes. 5'5"  Born: May 16, 1995. Address: 4711 Ritter Ave. Utica, MI. 48317. 

Perfect. I put the license in my front pocket, and continued going through her purse. My fingers finally touched a small phone. I snatched it, and pulled it out. I pushed the ON button, and the screen lit up. 

4 NEW MESSAGE(S) .... 3 MISSED CALL(S)

Interesting...

I opened the first one. It was from a girl named Allie.

    " Hey, Claire. You home?"

I opened the second. Another from Allie.

    "You're worrying me... are you home yet?"

The third. The Allie girl again.

     "I guess your parents grounded you for being past curfew... text me in the morning. Goodnight." 

I glanced at the clock on my car. It was 12:34. Hm.

The fourth. From a someone named Ben.

    "Hey, Allie just called. She's really worried...Where r u?"

I checked the missed calls. All three were from a contact labeled"Home."

I dropped the phone back into her purse, and set the purse back into the backseat. I opened the glove compartment in my car, and grabbed a carton of cigarettes. Stepping out of my car, leaning against the side, I reached into my pocket, pulling out my lighter. A bright glow lit up my face as I lit up my nicotine.

I felt the tingle on my lips as the cigarette burned. Taking a long drag, I let the nicotine swirl around my lungs, tickling my ribs. I held it in as long as I could, then slowly let it seep between my teeth and through my nose. Just as I was about to take another long drag, I felt my pocket begin to vibrate. I nearly jumped out of my skin.

Keeping the cigarette loosely between my lips,  I slowly pulled the phone out. 

I froze as I read the screen.

Jerking back into reality as it vibrated again, my fingers pressing the answer button. 

"Brody." I said.

"Isaac. Do you have her?" 

I looked glanced to the side of me at the forest.

"No. She ran off."

"You're fucking with me right now, right?" He hissed. I winced, then regained a steady gaze at the forest behind me.

"She caught on fast. She broke her hand trying to escape. Literally..." I rubbed the back of my neck.

"And you let her go?" The voice was harsh. I took a quick drag, ending the life of the cigarette, and threw it on the ground, putting it out with the bottom of my shoe. I exhaled.

"Look, I'm going to find her. Give me a break, I'm-"

"I already gave you a break, Isaac." 

"I know you did, Brody." A twinge of bitterness on my tongue.

"Your time is running out."

I sighed.

"Are you wearing the necklace....." Brody demanded. I bent to look in my window. The necklace glinted on the rearview mirror.

"Yeah." I said.

"You've never been good at lying."

"Look, she's nearby, and I have her scent. I'll have her for you soon."

There was silence.

"Tell me what she looks like." Brody asked, quietly. I was taken aback at his change in voice. I paused, taking a second to picture her.

"Um... she has brown hair. Brown eyes. She's not all that tall-"

"Her name?"

I paused again.

"It's Claire." I said, almost a whisper. My stomach fell when he spoke again. 

"Claire..." he repeated, apparently tasting it on his own tounge. It wasn't a sweet, dreamy way of saying a girls name. It was a thirsty one.

"So she broke her hand while escaping?" Brody was suddenly curious, I could tell it in his change of voice. I didn't like it.

"Mhm."

"She's a fighter... very nice. You sure can pick 'em, Isaac." 

"Ha. I guess." I let a fake laugh escape my lips. My eyes were still locked on the forest, as the image of her terrified face and scent lingered on my mind.

"Why did you pick her?" He asked, breaking the concentration.

"I don't know.." I murmured.

"You must have a reason." The slight alteration in his voice told me I had better say a pleasing reaason. I opened my mouth to speak, then closed it again. My tongue was suddenly dry and heavy.

"I knew you'd like her."

Approving laughter came from the other side of the phone.

"You're a smart one, kid. I don't even know this girl, and I already know I'd love to have her." 

I coughed.

"Look, I've got to go. I'll have her. Soon."

"You've less than a week, you know."

"I know."

"Keep me updated." 

The call ended, and I was left in the silence of the night.

Comment with any guesses at what you think will happen next. :) You guys are great. <3