Chapter 35

Chapter 35

    (Claire's POV)

    It had been about an hour of driving through dense forest before the car finally rolled to a stop. Outside of the car stood a small log cabin with shaky-looking concrete steps leading to the front porch. It was odd seeing how different it was from Brody's huge mansion. 

   "We're here." Isaac announced quietly, mostly to himself, opening his door and getting out. I did the same, slamming the door behind me. 

    "Is this your house?" I asked, approaching it cautiously behind him. It looked at least a hundred years old; cobwebs and dust adorning the entire house. The wooden front porch creaked as I made my way up. I had to step to the side to avoid falling though a missing plank on the floor. 

    "It used to be." He replied, pushing in on the door with his shoulder, jiggling the lock. It was stuck, but suddenly gave way with Isaac's strength. He looked back at me, with an expression I couldn't really read. For some reason, I felt as if I shouldn't ask more about the strange little cabin. 

    "Ladies first." He said lowly. I broke eyecontact faltering for a moment, then made my way past him and inside.

    The cabin was a little bigger on the inside than I had expected. When I walked in, I entered what I was assuming was a living room; a small couch, protected under a sheet, a cold-looking fireplace, a small table and chair sitting under a window. As I walked in further, the wooden floor creaked and groaned. I made my way to the center of the room. Isaac turned around and locked the door from the inside, pocketing a bronze key. I froze.

    "Hey hey, calm down. It's to keep people out; not keep you in. Alright?" He said impatiently, walking over to uncover the dusty sheet from the couch. As he flung the cover off, dust flew everywhere, highlighted by the rays of sun coming in through the window on the otherside. 

    Attached to the living room was a small kitchen; just big enough for an oven, a sink, a small, yellowing fridge, and a two-chair table. On the table were dried out daffodils in a glass vase, covered in dust and cobwebs. For some reason, seeing that made me really sad...

     Isaac entered the kitchen, and I followed, keeping a good distance between us. He opened the fridge and grabbed a water bottle. 

    "Want one..?" He asked. I declined. He nodded to himself, and took out a pack of cigarettes from his shirt pocket. I eyed them hungrily....good god I could definitely go for a smoke right now... He must have noticed me staring at them.

    "Would you like to smoke...?" He asked, putting one in between his lips. I paused for a moment, but shook my head. 

    "That's okay....." I replied, turning my head. He sighed, and lit his cigarette. 

    "I don't usually smoke in the house, but I'll make an exception this time." He said, taking a drag and bringing it to life. He held in the smoke for a while before he exhaled and went to open the window. 

    "Why's that?" I asked, still awkwardly standing in the living room, not sure where I should go.

    "Can't let you get out of my sight." He replied nonchalantly. I huffed. He took a longer drag on his cigarette, and this time exhaled the vapor out of the window.

     "Are you hungry?" He asked. I shook my head, no. He stared at me for a little before taking another drag.

    "Are you lying to me?" He asked, looking out of the window. I remained silent. He sighed, and tapped off ashes from his cigarette. 

     " I can hear your stomach growl from here." He replied, slightly smiling, taking another drag and looking back at me. I took a step back.

     "I know what you are." I shot back, regaining myself. He faltered for a moment, the cigarette almost to his mouth. Then continued on. He didn't seem that worried.

     "And what is that." He retorted. His expression was still unreadable.

    "A vampire." I said, almost spitting the words. He turned, looking me up and down, and briefly went back to his cigarette.

    "Alright then." He mumbled, giving a little "hmph." I was pissed off by his nonchalant reaction...

    "And I also know you're Brody's brother."  

    At this he froze completely. 

    He stared out the window, the cigarette barely burning between his lips. I had definitely caught him off guard with this one... Quickly, he ended the life of the cigarette and threw it out of the window. He angrily slammed the window closed, and turned to face me. 

    "And?" He challenged, striding over to me slowly, anger beginning to build. I stood my ground.

    "Why would you want to know?" I spit. He stopped advancing. 

    "Claire, you have a way of getting your nose into other people's buisness." He said coldly. I gulped, hoping he couldn't hear my heart beating fast.

    "And you should really stop that." He said, walking up to me even closer. I started to back up, but was stopped by the edge of the couch.... He didn't stop his approach.

    This fucking asshole.... I should stop  sticking my nose into other's buisness?? I was thrown into this whole thing without a choice! It's HIS fault!! STOP BEING SCARED OF HIM, CLAIRE. 

     Before I could second guess myself, I shot my arm out and punched him. 

   Right in his jaw.... I gasped, suprised at my own reaction. He kept his head turned in the direction it had went after the impact. He took a hand up to rub his jaw as he turned to face me, glaring at me with his chillling emerald eyes. 

     "Happy now?" He said bluntly, and walked into what I assumed was a bathroom. I heard the running and sputter of sink water. I sighed

    "I'm sorry." I said. I coudn't believe I was saying this...

     I heard the water shut off.

     "What?" He asked, walking out and leaning against the doorframe. 

    "I said I'm sorry." I muttered. He sighed.

     "I understand why you hate me." He said, turning back to the sink. 

     "So let's have a mutual agreement." He yelled out of the bathroom. I turned around.

     "A what?" I asked. 

     "A mutual agreement that we both want you to be back home." He said, wiping his hands on a towel. I looked down at my hands and sighed.

      "Alright." I murmured.

     "I'm going to take a shower." He said. "You're welcome to look around, if you'd like." He said, nodding towards the other rooms. He shut the door and the sound of running water echoed through the house. 

      Having such stillness in the house was refreshing. I sat on the couch and just...breathed. 

     My life was in absolute chaos right now. Days ago, I was kidnapped, sprained my wrist, given to a hyper-agressive guy, only to learn that vampires are everywhere and I'm apparently their human servant. Now, I'm back in the hands of my captor in a house in the middle of nowhere, and he's casually taking a shower.

    *Outside*

     A warm breeze flew through the tops of the pine trees, settling down at their base. The faint sound of a creek broke through in the distance, and birds chirped loudly overhead. The silver BMW sat parked in the dappled shadows under one of the larger trees. The cloudy overcast faded away and sun beams broke through the leaves. A ray of sunlight caught on the BMW, catching a silver glint from inside the car. The silver moon necklace hung like a noose from the rearview mirror.

COMMENT/VOTE PLEASE!!! LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK!!!