Chapter 39

Hello lovlies. :) Here we go. Thanks for the patience. <3

Chapter 39.

"How.. much farther..." I gasped, my legs on fire and my vision was super blurry. My face felt numb as my feet pounded the forest floor, trailing behind Grayson, whose wild eyes kept glancing back at me worriedly. 

   "Not much farther...." He called back, sweat dripping down his temples. I exhaled. The loss of blood from my neck was excruciating, and I could feel the numbing solution wearing off of my new stitches.

     I couldn't believe what had happened just moments ago.... fucking Isaac.... 

      Tears brimmed in my eyes, mainly from the wind as we ran. Or so I told myself.

    "Look, you can see the city limits from here!" Grayson yelled, pointing ahead at what seemed to be the tops of grey buildings through the tree line. 

      Thank god... I was losing momentum. Who knows how long we had been running, and I couldn't keep going much farther.

     "Grayson... I have to stop... just for a second..." I breathed, but he couldn't hear me. I tried yelling again, but my voice was cut short; he had stopped dead in his tracks. I staggered over, grabbing his shoulder for support before I fell. 

    "How much fa-"

    "SHH!" Grayson hushed. The hairs on the back of my neck pricked up...

   "What..." I whispered, trying to quiet my breathing. He was looking around us, mainly to the sides. He held a hand to the left, signaling the direction.

    "Someone's following us..." He mouthed. I caught my breath.

    No. This fucking cat and mouse game was NOT going to continue...

    "What do we do...?" I mouthed silently back. His eyes held fear as they searched the area for a hiding spot.  

     "Okay...I'm going to lead them off your trail. Just head east once the coast is clear." He whispered in a hushed tone. "Climb up that tree," He pointed to one with fairly low hanging branches. " And DO. NOT. MAKE. A. SOUND." I hesitated, but then quickly listened. I'd do anything at this point to not get caught. He helped me shimmy up the tree as best as he could, and kept glancing over his shoulder. 

      "Don't make a sound." He said quietly, glancing up at me through the leaves. The bark was rough against my shins and my forearms, but I held on as tight as I could, holding the base of the tree. My heart was racing; aside from the fact that we were being hunted by bloodthirsty vampires, I was absolutely terrified of heights. The branch was thick, and I was a good twenty feet in the air .I felt sweat drip down the back of my neck down my shirt.

      I looked down at Grayson, his bright red hair catching through the leaves. He sent a sad smile, and then suddenly, took off running.

      I felt my breath catch again as I realized how absolutely alone I was again. Godamnit.. I hugged the tree closer, the bark brushing against my cheek. My neck was throbbing even worse, now. I could almost feel the pressure of the stitches pulling with every flex of my muscles.

       A swift movement moving between trees caught my eye and my heart stopped.

     It was a woman... she had dark olive skin and tight curls that fell around her shoulders. A yellow waist coat fell across her shoulders. Her eyes darted around, searching...