Chapter 30

Chapter 30

     (Isaac's POV)

     I floored it out of the parking spot, gravel flying as we left the horrible building behind us My hands were white-knuckled on the steering wheel, the gas pedal to the floor. It wasn't until I looked over at Jocelyn's face as she grabbed hold of the side of the car that I realized how fast I was going. 

     "I'm sorry. I'm just so ready to go home." I said, slowing down and reaching over to hold her shaking hand. She grasped mine tightly. I smiled.

      "I was so afraid I'd never see you again." She said in a soft voice. I sighed, and held her hand tighter.

      "I'm here now, love."

      She smiled sadly. I leaned over and kissed her cheek. Drops of rain began falling, so I turned on the windshield wipers.

      "We'll get married. We'll get married and we'll move far away and we will leave all of this behind us." I smiled with a happy sigh, imagining spending the rest of my life with the love of my life. The woman I fell in love with. The one I-

      "Isaac..." She said, turning to me.

     I turned with a smile ready to meet a happy face-

     What the hell... 

     Her eyes were full of tears, and her lips were quiverring. I was taken aback.

       "Jocelyn??! What's wrong???" I asked frantically, glancing back at the road before slowing the car to a complete stop. She took her hand from mine to wipe her eyes as the tears began to gingerly fall down her cheeks.

      "What's wrong? Do you not want to get married??? It's okay, we can wait- I'LL wait, until you're ready....What is it???" I asked, unbuckling my seat belt so I could reach over and hold her face in my hands. She shook her head, and started crying, gasping in little breaths between sobs.

      "It's n-not that...." She cried. 

      "Jocelyn?!" She wouldn't stop crying.. "Baby, what is wrong?!?! What did-" My voice trailed off. I froze, and tensed, gritting my teeth.

     "What did he do to you." I said through my teeth. She seemed so fragile in my arms, especially now.  I swear, if he so much as fucking touched her wrong I'll kill him....

       "He.." She said weakly, nervously running her hands through her hair. I held her face and turned her to me.

       "What did he do. Tell me what he did and I'll kill him, I swear to god if he touched you in any way, I swear-"

       "He vaccinated me...." She sobbed. 

       White noise filled my ears. I couldn't.. he..that......he..would....actually......

       "No..." I breathed..., I let go of her face and collapsed back into my own seat, my heartbeat overlapping her tears.

        Everything rushed through my mind like an angry tide... all the plans of marriage or having a family just...burned into ashes at my feet. She could never be..like me.. I couldn't transform her...we could never marry...if we had children, they would be halfbreeds- shunned from both worlds, they'd be killed and we'd be imprisoned... My world had crumbled in the matter of three words, the three she had to tell me.

     We sat in the parked car, the now pouring rain beating against the hood of the car as the storm around us escalated. 

(Claire's POV)

      I jumped as a clap of thunder shook the room. 

     "This storm is insane." Grayson said, walking back into the room. He held two lanterns with half-melted candles in them, in case the electricity went out. He set them on a small table by the window I nodded.

      "The news said it was supposed to pass quickly, but it looks like it's going to be here for a while." Grayson mentioned, sitting down at the chair by the window. The room was very dim, thanks to the heavy charcoal skies outside. The bedside lamp and a lamp in the corner were the only means of light through the room, which made erie shadows form in suspicious corners.  

      "I hate storms." I said, wrapping a blanket around me and sitting in a chair in front of Grayson. He smirked. 

      "Jezebelle does too." He looked out the window at the raindrops as the pecked the glass. " I wonder where she is now." He said, almost to himself. I looked down sadly, twisting my ring around my finger.

      "Don't hate me for saying this..." I looked up to Grayson rubbing the back of his neck before looking back at me. "But I'm really glad I met you. I know the circumstances are...not good. Terrible actually, but... I don't know. I feel a lot more hopeful." He shrugged his shoulders before continuing. "I just have a good feeling about things." 

     I couldn't help but grin.

     "Grayson?" I said. He turned. 

    "I get that feeling, too." I replied, pushing my bangs back. He smiled, and adjusted his collar, which reminded me of mine. I tugged at it.

     "You'll get used to it." He said sadly, noticing me fiddling with my collar. I blushed...

      "Hopefully I won't have to..." I muttered.

     "What was that?" A deep voice errupted from behind me with a flash of lightning and I nearly jumped out of my seat. Brody was standing in the doorway, dripping wet, soaked strands of hair falling in his face and droplets of water dripping from the tip of his nose and jaw line. I looked over at Grayson, who was now standing; his head down, his hands behind his back.

      "I got caught in the damn storm. Is she better?" Brody asked, pushing his hair out of his face, motioning towards me.

      "Yes, sir." Grayson replied, still looking down at the ground. I glanced at him, and then back to Brody. I didn't say anything...

       "How is your wrist?"  Brody asked me, taking a few steps forward while taking off his sopping wet suit jacket. His undershirt was white, and somewhat see through as it stuck to his muscles... I scolded myself for noticing them....

      "It's better..." I replied. Brody glanced harshly at me. Grayson's eyes flicked over to me.

      "...sir." I finished, biting my tongue. Brody's eyebrows rose, looking at me carefully. He walked over to me, and stroked the side of my face, his hand cold and damp. I tried not to shiver.

       "Good girl....I see you've learned." He said in a gravely voice. I looked down, biting the inside of my lip. He patted the top of my head.

       I looked up, cringing, to see him looking down at me with a look in his eyes that I didn't like... I gulped. With a sudden glare from him, I lowered my gaze. I didn't look up as he began walking to the door.

      "I expect her in my room in half an hour." Brody said, only looking to Grayson, who stood looking much paler than earlier...

    My heart dropped as he slammed the door behind him.