Chapter 34

Sorry it's such a short chapter! Let me know what you think. What is going through Isaac's mind?? What about Brody?? Claire?

Chapter 34 

(Claire's POV)

     I saw nothing but the concrete below rushing towards my face. I screamed, squeezing my eyes shut, preparing for the impact. Suddenly a hand clasped over my mouth, silencing my scream. I opened my eyes to Isaac holding me, bridal style, one hand over my mouth. 

    "BE QUIET!" He harshly whispered, setting me back on my feet and releasing his hand. He rolled his sleeves back up, then suddenly froze.

    "What is i-"

    "SHH!" He hissed. 

    Suddenly, something shattered the window we had  just jumped out of, and landed on the grass several feet from us. I gasped... It was a doorhandle.

    "He fucking knows.... We gotta go." Isaac said, grabbing my arm and pulling me to his car, which was a few lengths away. He opened the driverside door and pushed me into the passenger seat, and floored it. Gravel spun under the squealing tires and I felt my body press into the leather seats as the car accelerated. I scrambled to put on my seat belt. 

      (Isaac's POV)

     Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck..... 

    He knew. This was too close for comfort. I had planned to swoop in and grab her. Goddamnit.. I shouldn't have come back for her.  Why did my concious have to weight so heavily on me?!

      "W...where are we going...' She piped up, clicking her seatbelt in place. I didn't mean to glare at her, but my nerves were on end. She adverted her eyes angrily.

     "We're getting as far away from Brody as we can. I'm taking you to a hideaway." I replied, checking the rearview mirror. I sighed, scanning her face for her thoughts. She seemed upset, still. Understandable.....

    "Where is this hideaway...." She asked cautiously, as I slowed and took a sharp turn down a dirt road, leading into a dense pine forest. I rolled down the windows, letting a rush of forest scents enter my mind. 

     "A few miles down this road. Hopefully it'll be good enough to let his anger settle down for us to escape." 

     "What do you mean...? He's definitely not going to 'settle down.'" She said, glancing out the back window. I gripped the wheel.

     "Right now, he's furious. Blindly furious. Let him look for you for a few days. He'll settle down enough, hopefully, to pass right under his nose." I replied, checking the rearview mirror.

     "I doubt he's going to calm down...." She mmuttered. I threw her a sideways glance. Her collar caught my attention. She didn't seem to notice that it was still on. A part of me wanted to take it off of her. It was a symbol of ownership and submmissiveness. I hated the thought of Brody having her-

     Isaac. Stop.

     She's just some random girl...you shouldn't be thinking about these things.

     Random. What the hell, Isaac. What are you trying to trick yourself into believing. You picked her for a reason. You picked her. Out of all the other females at the school, you chose her. And you know why, Isaac......    NO.

    Jocelyn. Think of Jocelyn.  

    Why are you making such a big deal about this...? Just tell her to take the damn thing off.... 

       But a deep down inside of me, didn't want to mention it to her. I didn't tell her to take it off. I didn't even remind her she was still wearing it. A part of me wanted her to wear it.

     Blood rushed through my veins a little hotter as I saw the dark leather rest just above her sharp collarbones on milky-pale skin. I sat beside her, driving the car, knowing she still had the leather contraption on her fragile neck. And the part deep down inside of me liked the fact it was there. I gritted my teeth slightly, trying to clear the inappropriate images that were beginning to flood into my head, and tried to replace them with Jocelyn.....

     I didn't mention the collar.