8. Way To Be More Awkward

Chapter Eight : Way To Be More Awkward

This week couldn't have been more awkward than ever. It's Friday and I have detention after school. Geez. Slowly, I took my bag from my locker and sling it over my shoulder and head to the class Mrs Boring appointed me to go. The hallway is quite quiet now because everyone's busy heading home from school.

I stepped into the class and I saw Mrs Boring sitting at the teacher's desk, reading some book. She heard my footsteps so she looked up and saw me.

" Great, here you are, Miss Parker," she said.

I nodded. "Mrs Boring," I greeted.

" You're gonna stay here for one whole hour, no worries, young lady." She said with a smile that is only effective to young kids who are scared their parents forgot to pick them up.

I half smiled, not trying to be rude.

" Have a seat first." She gestured to the seats in the classroom.

I sat myself on the second row. I took out my book that I brought to ensure my boredom doesn't kill me.

Seconds later, the door swung open.

There stood a boy, puffing and panting, clearly was running. His blonde hair was all messed up but it was the kind of hot and messed up kind. He was wearing a black shirt that said "You got me" that showed how broad his shoulders were. Skinny jeans, Converse, typical boy style.

I couldn't help but look away from him. I couldn't risk being a tomato again.

" Mr Jackson McLean. I've been waiting, have a seat."

He was still panting but at a slower rate this time. He nodded to the teacher and sat himself down next to me. Oh god, stop looking at him, Leighton. Stop. There were a few drops of sweat on his forehead dripping slowly down his face, making him look impossibly hot in a sweaty manner. Goodness, how do people manage to be still looking so fine when they are sweaty as shit? I would look like a crazy sweaty-looking baboon which just escaped from the zoo in gym class.

He gulped and looked at me. I realized I was staring at him for too long to be normal. Within a second, I looked away, back to my book, mentally slapping myself in my mind. Idiot, why always make a fool of yourself?

I thought I escaped from any questions but I didn't, sadly.

" Why are you staring at me?" he asked in a whisper-talking tone.

I face him again and don't know what to say. I just shook my head and he had his famous smirk again on his stupid face. Damn, get back to the book, Leighton.

I was starting to read the first sentence from where I stopped just now but I heard him whispering again.

" Seriously? 'To Kill A Mockingbird'? That book makes no sense," he said to me.

I took a glance at Mrs Boring. She was still reading but looked she was going to fall asleep any second soon. I turned back to him, "Why not? It's a great book."

"Well, do you even understand the book? I mean like it's fucking confusing." He had this unbelievable look in his blue eyes, which made him look so inhumanely cute.

I rolled my eyes, "Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean I don't understand it. Plus, it's not confusing, just well-written."

He stared at me for a while and then said, "Such a nerd, but cute."

What? Wait, hold the fuck up. Did he just call me cute? Holy cheeseballs. Are you kidding me? NO ONE EVER IN MY LIFE CALLS ME CUTE. Okay, except for my granny which is normal but hell no, a boy called me cute? A boy who happens to be a ridiculously hot crush I had two years ago just call me cute.

Are you freaking kidding me, Life. You are so unpredictable. I don't know how to talk for a while and my brain was still trying to process. Alright, calm down girl, it's not like you just won a Oscar award for being the cutest girl in the world. Okay, for me, a little like that.

" Are you okay? You are turning into a tomato," he said casually, like as if he never said a thing about me being cute. I was just overreacting, I guess. He looked for my eyes and gave me a questioning look.

" Yeah, just that it gets a little too hot in here sometimes." Nice lying, Leighton. Such a great lie that you deserve a cookie for it.

He eyed me suspiciously and then his blue eyes began to have this mischievous twinkle like he was planning a epic prank. He smirked and said, " Sorry, I didn't know I was that hot."

What. Way to be awkward, Leighton. I replied quickly, a little too quickly which makes it obvious I was trying to defense myself, "Nice try, Jackson but nope." I said, popping the 'p' in 'nope'.

I tried to control my laughter because he did a dramatic act where he fake clutched his heart, like he was being hurt. I guess I'm not good at controlling my "whispering laugh" because the teacher gave me a glare and I nodded.

I turned back to him and said sarcastically, "Thanks."

" I know," he said and winked at me. I returned back to my book.

-

I was so focused into my reading until I heard a soft thud like someone's head had dropped onto the table. I turned to my side but it wasn't Jackson. He was texting under the table. I turned to the front and realized it was Mrs Boring. Her head was on the table beside her book, and she was snoring softly.

I looked back at Jackson but he was already half laughing at her. He faced me and said, " Great time to escape, detention buddy."

His face was full of mischief and adorableness. I looked at him, still a litle confused about what he was thinking. He goofily smiled and reached out his hand to me.

At this moment, I was still very puzzled but other than that, I feel that there is something I shouldn't miss now.

---

A/N

Hiii guys! Oh my god, I know. I know. I'm such an asshat for not updating for like, four months. So damn sorry, guys.

You guys are the best and the most patient readers I have ever asked for. Thank you A LOT. I'll update and edit this as much as I can if I'm free. Exams are up and I'm busy, sorry :(

Please..

VOTE/COMMENT/SHARE !

Love you lots,

Daphne

xoxo