40. It's A Challenge

Chapter Forty: It's A Challenge

"Leighton Parker!" Someone shrieked from behind me, causing me to jump.

I was just making my way towards the cafeteria when I felt a pair of arms swing across both my shoulders. I turned around to see Tiffany. She was wearing a pretty blue shirt with a smiley on it just like her current expression. She looked at me wide-eyed and squeezed my arms, squealing as a few heads turned to look at us in the hallways.

"Tiff! You could have given me a heart attack!" I exclaimed though I was relieved to see that it was her who had hugged me from behind and not someone else trying to embarrass the heck out of me. Cough cough.

She jabbed her finger at my side playfully with a sly smirk on her face. I yelped in shock then shot her a glare.

"Are you sure you're not the one giving everyone else a heart attack huh?" She mocked, eyeing me suspiciously.

"Why are you looking at me like that? Oh wait..."

I remembered what happened earlier and I felt my cheeks burning up. Did she know about that? I was pretty sure a lot of people saw it and words in Linden High sure travel fast; no doubt about that.

She placed her hand on her hip and gave me a suggestive look.  "What is seriously going on between you and Jackson huh? A lot of people saw him carrying you freaking bridal style down the hallway! What is this? A wedding without telling your best friend?"

"Tiff!" I said, looking around embarrassed. She was always way too loud. In a softer voice, I continued, "I don't know what happened okay? He just scooped me off the ground and bam! I was freaking carried away by him the next moment. I didn't expect it at all and I honestly don't know how to tell you this..."

I was feeling all kinds of mixed emotions as I recalled the incident. Tiff gave me a squeeze on my arm and a huge smile.

"Lei...you're blushing so hard right now," she stated whilst trying to contain her laughter. I glared at her and sighed.

"You're not helping me at all," I grumbled as we began to walk towards the cafeteria for lunch together. I paused to think for a second then asked out of curiosity, "Tiff...do everyone know about this?"

"Uh..I'm pretty sure yes? It's our school students we're talking about. You know how fast words travel here," she said matter-of-factly, rolling her eyes.

"Great. Just great," I mumbled under my breath, "Now, I'm going to have jealous girls on my heels everywhere, probably plotting my murder or something."

Tiff stifled a laugh and slapped my back playfully. "You're probably right. But don't worry, you have your Prince Charming to protect you," she teased, giving me a wink.

"Please," I groaned, rolling my eyes at her.

We had finally reached the cafeteria so we proceeded to buy ourselves some burgers and fries before heading towards our table. Just then, I realized. I had to face Austin. Which is pretty awkward considering the confession happened just days ago. And Georgia, the one who hates me and literally announced to the whole freaking school that I was a bitch. I didn't want to face her.