21. Twisting Fate

Chapter Twenty One : Twisting Fate

" Leighton! Won't you please help me set up the table! "

My mom shouted from downstairs. It sounded more like a command than a question.

" Be down in a minute!"

I took one last glance at the mirror. I was wearing the dress I bought yesterday and it looked pretty suiting on me. My favourite feature of it is its criss-cross pattern on the back. I ruffled my long brown hair down my back, not caring if it's messy or not because it always is anyway before heading down the stairs.

Mom said that she had invited a few important people or might I add, business partner and that their family was invited too. It was occasional for her to invite people over but I suppose today was the day she chose to have an occasional night.

Or according to Mom's perception of "Get good with your sister just to buy a dress and learn to socialize with others" kind of night. Mom thinks I have not enough social skills because of my lack of friends but really, she just doesn't understand. Bigger circle of friends screams trouble to me.

I reached to the living room and saw my dad just got home from work.

" Hey, Dad," I greeted with a smile. Chances are small to get him come home this early so I decided to appreciate it more.

He looked up to me and gave back a smile. His hazel eyes were a little red and his face showed tiredness. I supposed he was having a hard day at work and needed some time to rest so I made my way to the kitchen.

The smell of rosemary and garlic tickled my nose as I breathed in the utter saliva-dropping sensation I felt in my mouth. I've always loved homecooks, especially by my mother and tonight was definitely something special enough that Mom decided to put all her skills to work.

I happily skipped to my mom and pecked her on the cheek, surprising her. She turned around and put her hands on her hips.

" Well, took you long enough," she eyed my dress," but I must say you look decent for once."

She gave me the look of approval like I was a beauty contest participant thirsting for compliments. I rolled my eyes.

" Gee, thanks, Mom. I must have looked horrible any other time," I said mockingly.

I grabbed the plates beside her and started to set up the table. I placed the utensils neatly in place.

" Oh honey, you know I didn't mean that." Mom frowned at me.

I stuck out my tongue at her. Childish, I know. She rolled her eyes at me this time and continued preparing the food on the table.

After a few minutes, we were done and I heard Lyra coming down the stairs. She was wearing an evening dress that brought out her curves and edges perfectly. One word : Flawless. She's perfect, in whatever way; hair, face, body, personality, style, just everything that I'm not.

She gave me a small smile and that was enough to make me feel good about my appearance. She would usually sulked in distaste when she looks at my oufit but not this time, which I'm glad.

Just then, I heard the doorbell ring. I felt my heart palpitating as I rub my hands subconsciously. Curiousity and excitement filled my entire body as I was trying to figure out who were the invited people.

My mother quickly rushed out to the living room while fixing her hair before she yelled, " Coming!"

I stood somewhere behind her with Lyra and my dad, who was now clean and looking fresh, beside me. I took a chance to take a quick glance at one of the glass windows, checking my appearance in the reflection.