30. It's A Freaking Mansion

Chapter Thirty: It's A Freaking Mansion

I watched the second hand of the clock tick by. There was still half an hour before school ended.

Mr Gabes was still babbling about some chemical equations and the experiments we would be doing in the future.

"Your previous lab partners will be permanent throughout the whole school year so I hope you are comfortable with your assigned partner. If you have any disagreement, please consult me as soon as possible," Mr Gabes announced.

I fiddled around with my pen, feeling bored then something struck me.

Wait.

Does that mean I'm paired up with Austin for the whole school year?

Mr Gabes's loud voice interrupted my realization.

"Yes, Mr McLean. What's the matter?"

I turned my head to the back and saw Jackson with his hand up.

"Mr Gabes, I request for a change of partner," he said.

Silence.

Everyone in the classroom had their eyes on him. Some held quizzical looks, some had their mouths open. Everyone must be thinking, Why the hell would Jackson McLean request for a change when his partner is a hot and rich girl named Clarissa Madens? I'm pretty sure girls would kill to be in her squad and guys would kill to be in her pants.

I searched for Clarissa around the room and saw her with a very confused face. She must be thinking why someone would not enjoy her as a partner. She is probably like a spoiled rich princess who gets whatever she wants in her life.

"Oh?" Mr Gabes was just as surprised. His eyebrows were raised with no further reply.

"Would that be possible, sir?" Jackson asked, confident as ever.

"Oh yes, Mr McLean. Perhaps see me after school to talk about it?" Mr Gabes said uninterestedly. He didn't care much. He just wanted to continue his lesson before the bell rings. Or maybe he was plotting the murder of his students by giving them a ton of homework right before the bell rings. I mean, there's always that one evil teacher who does that right?

But Jackson didn't seem to care that he wanted to continue his lesson.

"Sir," he said," I want to switch partners with Austin Jordans."

Okay, this really had everyone, including Mr Gabes, dropped their jaws to the ground. Seriously?!? Does that mean...

"You want to be paired with Leighton Parker?" Mr Gabes asked Jackson, a rather amused look on his face.

I felt my blood rushing hot to my face. What in the world...

"I don't agree," someone said loudly.

And well, that someone was Austin.

"Yes, Mr Jordans?" asked Mr Gabes.

The room was really quiet now. Everyone was bewildered and rather confused by this girl who is unnoticed for years and now, noticed by everyone. I felt a few of the girls behind me staring their eyes into my back, trying to burn me with their imaginary laser-beamed eyes.

"I don't agree to switch partners, sir. I'm staying with Leighton," Austin said. His green eyes looked determined like as if he did not give a flying fuck about what Jackson had in mind.

"Well..." Mr Gabes muttered, breaking the awkward silence in the class.

Jackson held his hand up again. This time, with a smug look on his face. Oh, help me.