25. It's Not A Date

Chapter Twenty Five : It's Not A Date

I felt my hair rising on my arms and I was terrified but also, relieved. I should be, right?

Jackson stood at the frame of the door, jaw clenched. The three girls, clearly surprised and of course, scared, looked at each other before pacing towards the door. I was left behind in the dim and lonely room.

Jackson locked eyes with me for a second before grabbing Cassie's arm right before she escaped with her other two friends.

I saw Cassie gulped, her eyes bigger than usual.

"Don't try to get near her anymore." This from Jackson. Freaking Jackson McLean. Are you kidding me? Why was he trying to protect me? The last time I checked, he didn't owe me anything.

Something worse than fear crossed Cassie's face as she stumbled while Jackson released his strong grip on her arm. She scurried off with Nicole and Stephanie, forcing their wobbly legs to run faster.

Sweat drops started to form on the back of my neck. It's either the rising heat in the dark room or the fact that Jackson had saved me from another hell of trouble.

He turned back to face me and started approaching me. When he reached me, I didn't want to look at him.

His tall figure dawned over me, blocking the light from the open door. His soft but rough hands lifted my face gently to make me face him. I shivered under his touch that brought me back to reality from the traumatic incident.

I looked at his blue eyes and the worrying creases on his forehead. I tried to unravel something beyond those memerizing ocean eyes. Something. But I couldn't get it out.

My voice, merely a whisper, was near to breaking when I spoke.

"Why?" I asked.

He cocked his head slightly, confused.
"What why?"

My eyes trailed back to the floor with his hands still not letting go of my face.

"Why? Why did you do it?"

My voice was so close to breaking but in fact, I was going to. I didn't know what I was feeling but it didn't feel good.

He searched for my eyes and at last, I gave in. A tear rolled down my face as I looked at him. I was tired. Of all the struggling, the hurting and the escaping. The flashbacks of the bullies came across my mind again, sending a tremor to my hands.

He didn't answer me. He looked just as bad as me. His eyes were tired, like he haven't been sleeping for the last few nights.

I waited while my eyes started to water even more. He let go of my face lightly and I quickly wiped my tears off, embarassed of the state I was in.

"Leighton," said Jackson, ever so softly.

I fought back the tears and gathered myself together.

"I-I gotta go," I said, ready to rush out the door.

I was already skipping two periods and I shouldn't get myself into more trouble. He blocked my way and didn't bother moving aside after what I said.

I looked up at him and he tried to smile at me, still cautious of the state I was in. "Don't you have a class to go to?" I asked, my voice still dry and vulnerable.

He scoffed at me, eyes wandering to the walls then back at me, like I said something unbelievably naïve and tried to wait for me to say it was a joke I was telling.

He realized I meant it a serious question so he stopped and looked at me, making me feel uneasy.

"Leighton." My name on his lips was something that could send me chills at midnight. "Do you actually think I was ever in every class all day? Like you?"