22. Tension

Chapter Twenty Two : Tension

If I could run, trust me, I would have. But, apparently I was in a bathroom and I didn't think there's any possible way to make yourself just disappear like that. I inhaled deeply, trying to get rid of the anxiety clouded over me.

His azure eyes were so intense, making me go all gooey inside. What the hell does he want? I shuffled my feet nervously backwards to the sink as he approached me closer, tension thicker than a fog.

I gathered my courage and found my voice.

" What do you want?" I asked, clearly enough to show that I'm a nervous wreck.

He laughed lightly at my question which I didn't think was funny at any means. But hell, his deep chuckle was so sexy I had to resist the urge to squish his face and kiss him hard on the lips.

Wait, what's going on in your brain, Leighton? I need to sane my hormones. I gave him a serious eyebrows lift and he got back his smug look of his.

" What do you think I want?" he asked.

His voice still low and sexy. They should invent an eraser to rub off those smug smirks egoistic boys have on their faces 80% of the time.

I gulped, my eyes dropping to the floor again. I have no time for this game he's playing. If our parents find out why we're gone for so long, they would suspect something. And I wasn't ready for a tsunami of questions.

" Just," I tried to push his chest away so I could reach for the door," I need to go."

His body was so firm I didn't think I could actually make him move an inch. Damn boys with muscles. He held my arm and I could feel the warmth of his hand around me. I looked nervously into his blue eyes.

He bent his head a little lower. What the hell is he doing? I felt hot blood surging through my brain and I couldn't think. The room felt like it was spinning.

His face was so close and I thought my heart could have jumped out like a fish out of water. His face features are so beautiful I had to stop myself from stroking his face. I also realized he had soft freckles around his nose.

I thought for a moment he was going to kiss me (not like I would let him) but he didn't. He just stared at me and I had the most insecure feeling in the world. What if he was thinking that I am too ugly? Why would I care anyway?

I felt relief when his head distanced from mine again. I never kissed a guy and I didn't think I was any ready for it. Plus, I wasn't sure if I had feelings for him. Maybe it was just hormones and not the feelings it should be to make a relationship exist.

Quickly, I looked down, embarrased of what happened. He didn't say a word but he looked like he felt pretty bad if you could tell by the creases on his forehead.

What was he thinking? He went from smug look to this in a matter of seconds. God, he's so bipolar.

" Are you okay?" I asked.

He looked up to me again and his blue eyes looked uncertain but he nodded. He licked his lips unconsciously and I felt a little worried about him.

He opened the door and we both went out without another word. Odd. He made his way towards the living room so I decided to go grab a drink from the fridge so it didn't look obvious that we were in the same bathroom with our faces close to kissing a moment ago.

When I got back to the living room, my mother was announcing we should have our dinner now. I smiled politely at both Jackson's parents as they sat down. After we settled down around the dinner table with the parents sitting opposite each other and Jackson sitting next to me, we started eating.

We were all silent for a moment before Mom decided to break the ice, which was pretty awkward.

" I hope you like the dishes, Mr and Mrs McLean and I'm sorry if I messed up any of them because I haven't been cooking for a while now," Mom gave a smile and I wondered if we were even related because I could never be so outspoken like her.

" They are very nice," Mr McLean commented with his wife nodding in agreement.

" Thank you for such a lovely dinner, Gina. We appreciate it a lot, don't you Jackson? " Mrs McLean said, looking at Jackson who was now the one caught off guard.

" Uh-yeah. Yeah, I absolutely love the chicken," Jackson answered, his fork nearly falling as he panicked to get it in time. I had to force myself from laughing at his dorkiness.

Dad decided to chime in, " So, Jackson, which school are you from?"

" I'm from Linden High, sir."

Dad let out a soft laugh, " No need for the formals, boy." Jackson smiled.
" So if you're from Linden, I'd assume you know Leighton?"

" Yes," Jackson said at the same time I said," No." Bad timing.

The parents gave us a little look of suspicion but Jackson ignored it. I tried a sheepish smile instead.

" Leighton, since I've heard you take the same classes as Jackson, why don't you give him some free tutoring lessons?" Mrs McLean had said the words I feared the most.

" I-I.." I muttered.

" Oh, that's a great idea! I'm pretty Jackson has a lot to learn from you," Mr McLean added. Oh my God, I bet Mom told them about me being the goody-two-shoes in school.

They all waited for a reply as they looked at me, including Jackson with his smug look back on his face again and never in my life have I felt so threatened before. If this was counted a death threat.

" Uh.. I-I.." I stammered. I felt my palms sweating.

Then, Mrs McLean saved my life. " Oh, it's okay, Leighton. We don't force you," a warm smile forming on her face, " We know you need personal time for yourself."

Phew. I felt heat rising up to my cheeks as I looked down at my food. I felt horrible. I couldn't bare the thought of Jackson in my room, getting tutored by me. He probably wouldn't even listen to me anyway.

*~*~*~*~*

The night passed fast as we finished our dinner before talking a little more and then the McLeans decided to leave. We greeted goodbyes and I immediately rushed back to my room before Mom could shoot me any questions about earlier.

She knew I was having a hard time so I guess she decided to leave me alone. I threw myself on my bed, exhausted. I heard a ring. I checked my phone. It had a message.

From : Austin

Hey.

--
A/N
Here's chapter twenty two!
I apologize if it's crappy :/ I'm not up to the mood to write again and I will try to finish this story a.s.a.p because I know it's selfish to keep you guys waiting for nothing :) I'm also sorry for the very late update but I'll try to be more consistent next time!

Good news! I found a girl suitable to be cast as Lei! Drum rolls please...

Barbara Palvin!

Please leave your comments below about what you think about her- is she suitable? Who do you think should be cast as Lei instead? I'm also going to announce the cast member for Jackson in the next chap so comment who you think should be Jackson :)

Please VOTE/COMMENT <3 !

I love you all,
Daphne x