24. Green With Envy

Chapter Twenty Four : Green With Envy

I stood still. Time stood still.
Everyone stared.

I was ready to run away like a wimp at this very moment. Having seen their facial expressions, I didn't feel invited. Maybe I wasn't. It was a second-hand invitation anyway. I was invited by Tiffany, not them.

After Tiffany introduced me, they didn't say a word. A few of them just smiled while some of them just stayed emotionless, sticking to their meals. I saw Austin's dimpled smile when I made eye contact with him. He looked rather surprised about me showing up.

Beside me, Tiffany gave me a reassuring smile while Dylan had already wrapped his hand protectively around her waist, inviting her to sit down with them. A girl with blonde hair moved aside to make space for the two of them.

I stood there awkwardly for a few seconds, feeling like I don't fit in both physically and mentally. I've always been a socially awkward person and I never actually interacted with anyone considered in the "famous" group. Other than Austin, of course.

I was so nervous that my legs started to shake a little from the awkward pose I'm standing. Then, I heard Austin called out to me.

" Leighton! "

I turned towards him and he was patting the seat beside him, a bright smile on his face. I walked towards him and sat down next to him quietly, unsure if it was right to sit there.

I returned a shy smile back to Austin, whose eyes were unnaturally green that made my heart skipped a beat when I looked up at him. He parted his lips to say something but someone's loud voice cut him off.

" So, Leira.. Leira is it?" A girl with a perfect blonde ponytail said.

She was wearing fake eyelashes and I mentally reminded myself not to comment a thing. I recognized her immediately. Georgia Hitchers. She is one of those girls whose brains only consist of makeup, parties, gossip and sex. She probably slept with half of the school's guys before. To put it in a simple and harsh way, a slut.

" It's Leighton," a short brunette girl beside her whispered.

Her eyes half-rolled at the correction and she continued chewing the gum in her mouth, " Right. Whatever. Leighton."

I tried my best carefree smile at her eventhough all I felt was the opposite.

" So when did you moved here?" She asked, looking at me under her ridiculously long eyelashes.

The way she said it and how others looked at me seemed so sincere as if they had no idea I existed before this. Which made everything naturally 10 times more awkward.

The others were looking at me at this point, like they've never seen me around at school their whole lives. Like I'm a new student. When in fact, I was in Linden High for more than 3 years. Guess that just adds to how unnoticed I am.

I managed to keep a straight face, careful not to show hurt on my face while I said, " I'm not new. I was here years ago."

After I said this, it seemed unbelievable to them. The blondie didn't seem sure of what I said and spoke again.

" Oh, so you're saying you're not new here?" Yes. Now, will you please shut up or do you still want to rub in my face about how unnoticed I am everywhere?

" Yes," I said, softer than normal. I was sick of being not seen by everyone and then them being so clueless about my existence. For once, I wanted to be cared, to be looked at, to be noticed.

" Why haven't I seen you around then?" She asked, smacking her gum loudly. I resisted the urge to choke her with the gum she's chewing.

My hands were getting sweaty again and I shifted from my seat uncomfortably. I didn't look up. I just stared at my hands. I wanted to reply but I heard someone else spoke.